Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Overlapped geometry after simulation.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I have a problem about overlapped geometry after simulation.

I modeled 2D rectangular channel inside PDMS block.
I tried to compress PDMS block downward to see the deformation of 2D rectangular channel.
However, after compressing the PDMS block, I found that the wall of the 2D rectangular channel invade each other. Do you have any suggestions to avoid overlapped geometry after deformation?

I uploaded my file.

If you can give me a piece of advice, it will be really helpful to me.
Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Donghee.

4 Replies Last Post 20 lug 2015, 22:49 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 15 lug 2015, 16:45 GMT-4
Hi,

I wonder you can add boundaries 4, 5, and 6 to the Fixed Constraint 1 of Solid Mechanics node.
I hope this can be a help.

Regards,
Hi, I wonder you can add boundaries 4, 5, and 6 to the Fixed Constraint 1 of Solid Mechanics node. I hope this can be a help. Regards,

Posted: 9 years ago 16 lug 2015, 19:57 GMT-4
Hello,

I really appreciate your help.
I tried to see the deformation of the channel inside the PDMS block after compressing the PDMS block.
So, I gave free boundary conditions to boundaries 4, 5, and 6.

However, my problem is that those boundaries (4,5, and 6) are slightly overlapped after compression.
Do you have any suggestions to prevent the overlapping boundaries?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Donghee.
Hello, I really appreciate your help. I tried to see the deformation of the channel inside the PDMS block after compressing the PDMS block. So, I gave free boundary conditions to boundaries 4, 5, and 6. However, my problem is that those boundaries (4,5, and 6) are slightly overlapped after compression. Do you have any suggestions to prevent the overlapping boundaries? Thank you very much. Sincerely, Donghee.

Posted: 9 years ago 17 lug 2015, 12:11 GMT-4
Hello Zhoujie,

Thank you very much for your comment.
I saw your attached picture, and found that your method worked perfectly.

However, I am a new user for COMSOL.
So, I googled to find the meaning of ALE.
Does ALE mean arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian method?

Would it be okay if you let me know how to apply ALE?

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Donghee Lee.
Hello Zhoujie, Thank you very much for your comment. I saw your attached picture, and found that your method worked perfectly. However, I am a new user for COMSOL. So, I googled to find the meaning of ALE. Does ALE mean arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian method? Would it be okay if you let me know how to apply ALE? Thank you again. Sincerely, Donghee Lee.

Posted: 9 years ago 20 lug 2015, 22:49 GMT-4
Hello Zhoujie,

I found ALE module thanks to your kind explanation.

I have one more question.
To apply ALE, what kind of conditions do I need to use (Please see the attached picture).

Also, do I need to modify the conditions in solid mechanics module?

I really appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Donghee.
Hello Zhoujie, I found ALE module thanks to your kind explanation. I have one more question. To apply ALE, what kind of conditions do I need to use (Please see the attached picture). Also, do I need to modify the conditions in solid mechanics module? I really appreciate your help. Sincerely, Donghee.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.