Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

modelling a vertically moving plate with free horizontal rotation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

May I ask someone to advise me how would I model a rectangual plate with prescribed vertical translational motion capable of free rotation along horizontal plane.
Plz see the image attached.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies Last Post 27 ago 2015, 02:24 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 27 ago 2015, 02:01 GMT-4
Hi

I see a few ways but it depends on what else you want to do and the surrounding of your model:

If we consider ONLY the plate as is, one can

a) put oneself in the "rotating" reference plane and apply "roller" conditions to the 4 edges,
Any centrifugal forces can be applied by adding a body load in cylindrical coordinates, but one needs an equation for the rotating velocity

b) if the model accepts that the side edges are perfectly RIGID (but really 100% rigid, and with no thermal expansion ... still a valid assumption) then you could joins all side edges with a "Rigid Domain" BC and constrain the X,Y displacements of the CoR, and leave the Z and Theta free

c) if the centre of the plate is on a shaft with ball bearings with a cylindrical hole, one can constrain that cylinder wall with a "roller" BC

The latter is probably easier to combine with other physics

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I see a few ways but it depends on what else you want to do and the surrounding of your model: If we consider ONLY the plate as is, one can a) put oneself in the "rotating" reference plane and apply "roller" conditions to the 4 edges, Any centrifugal forces can be applied by adding a body load in cylindrical coordinates, but one needs an equation for the rotating velocity b) if the model accepts that the side edges are perfectly RIGID (but really 100% rigid, and with no thermal expansion ... still a valid assumption) then you could joins all side edges with a "Rigid Domain" BC and constrain the X,Y displacements of the CoR, and leave the Z and Theta free c) if the centre of the plate is on a shaft with ball bearings with a cylindrical hole, one can constrain that cylinder wall with a "roller" BC The latter is probably easier to combine with other physics -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 27 ago 2015, 02:24 GMT-4
Dear Dr Ivar
Thank you so much.
I will follow them and report here.
Actually this assembly is vibrating up and down sinoidally in fluid and allowed to rotate freely.
I am trying with 3d FSI hope the option c) seems to be more suitable.
Thank you so much
With regards
Dear Dr Ivar Thank you so much. I will follow them and report here. Actually this assembly is vibrating up and down sinoidally in fluid and allowed to rotate freely. I am trying with 3d FSI hope the option c) seems to be more suitable. Thank you so much With regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.