Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to plot fraction of volume from 3D model?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

How is it possible to show volume plot for a special section of a 3D domain?
My 3D whole domain starts from x= [90-700(m)]
y=[50-500(m)]
z=[-10-2(m)]
But I want to show volume which is x=[360-400(m)]
y=[100-450(m)]
z=[0-2(m)]
I attached my domain and the parts that I want to plot in picture here (for better explanation).

How is it possible to plot it in comsol? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance for help
Sepideh

5 Replies Last Post 16 nov 2015, 10:18 GMT-5
Gerardo E. Villarreal-Garcia

Posted: 9 years ago 30 set 2015, 06:25 GMT-4
Have you tried creating a Selection and applying it to the data set with your solution?

--
PhD Student

Centre for Quantum Photonics
H.H. Wills Physics Laboratory
University of Bristol
Tyndall Avenue
Bristol
BS8 1TL, UK

Office 1.25
Email: g.villarreal@bristol.ac.uk
Have you tried creating a Selection and applying it to the data set with your solution? -- Gerardo E. Villarreal-Garcia PhD Student Centre for Quantum Photonics H.H. Wills Physics Laboratory University of Bristol Tyndall Avenue Bristol BS8 1TL, UK Office 1.25 Email: g.villarreal@bristol.ac.uk

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 30 set 2015, 07:18 GMT-4
Hi,

Another option is to add a Filter subnode to the Volume plot, and in its Logical expression for inclusion field use a logical expression for the spatial coordinates to plot only the fraction of the volume that fulfills that expression.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, Another option is to add a Filter subnode to the Volume plot, and in its Logical expression for inclusion field use a logical expression for the spatial coordinates to plot only the fraction of the volume that fulfills that expression. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 9 years ago 30 set 2015, 10:36 GMT-4
Hi Gerardo,

Could you kindly explain which selection type should I consider and how? Do you have any example?

Looking foreard to hearing from you.
Sepideh

Have you tried creating a Selection and applying it to the data set with your solution?

--
PhD Student

Centre for Quantum Photonics
H.H. Wills Physics Laboratory
University of Bristol
Tyndall Avenue
Bristol
BS8 1TL, UK

Office 1.25
Email: g.villarreal@bristol.ac.uk

Hi Gerardo, Could you kindly explain which selection type should I consider and how? Do you have any example? Looking foreard to hearing from you. Sepideh [QUOTE] Have you tried creating a Selection and applying it to the data set with your solution? -- Gerardo E. Villarreal-Garcia PhD Student Centre for Quantum Photonics H.H. Wills Physics Laboratory University of Bristol Tyndall Avenue Bristol BS8 1TL, UK Office 1.25 Email: g.villarreal@bristol.ac.uk [/QUOTE]

Posted: 9 years ago 30 set 2015, 10:46 GMT-4
Hi Magnus,

Great, I solved my problem with your solution. But let me ask, I confronted with 2 questions:

1)When I tried to write logical expression like this: x > 360 && x < 400 && y > 100 && y < 450&& z > 0 && z < 2, then I was not able to show the volume plot, then I removed the z part, and it worked but
2)I applied this logical expression: x > 360 && x < 400 && y > 100 && y < 450
and I got plot (attached picture). I was expecting to have rectangle block but i is irregular block!

Is it related to my geometry? How is it possible to have simple rectangular block from this domain?

Hope to hear from you.
Sepideh

Hi,

Another option is to add a Filter subnode to the Volume plot, and in its Logical expression for inclusion field use a logical expression for the spatial coordinates to plot only the fraction of the volume that fulfills that expression.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Hi Magnus, Great, I solved my problem with your solution. But let me ask, I confronted with 2 questions: 1)When I tried to write logical expression like this: x > 360 && x < 400 && y > 100 && y < 450&& z > 0 && z < 2, then I was not able to show the volume plot, then I removed the z part, and it worked but 2)I applied this logical expression: x > 360 && x < 400 && y > 100 && y < 450 and I got plot (attached picture). I was expecting to have rectangle block but i is irregular block! Is it related to my geometry? How is it possible to have simple rectangular block from this domain? Hope to hear from you. Sepideh [QUOTE] Hi, Another option is to add a Filter subnode to the Volume plot, and in its Logical expression for inclusion field use a logical expression for the spatial coordinates to plot only the fraction of the volume that fulfills that expression. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL [/QUOTE]

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 16 nov 2015, 10:18 GMT-5
Hi,

In COMSOL Multiphysics 5.2, there is a new Smooth option, which is now the default setting for the "Element nodes to fulfill expression" list in the Filter node's Settings window. Using that setting, you get much smother "filtered blocks", for example, even when the computational mesh is coarse.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Hi, In COMSOL Multiphysics 5.2, there is a new Smooth option, which is now the default setting for the "Element nodes to fulfill expression" list in the Filter node's Settings window. Using that setting, you get much smother "filtered blocks", for example, even when the computational mesh is coarse. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.