Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling E field from gaussian beam at a given z value

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to make a 2D model of the electric field of a Gaussian beam at a given z value, such that the Gaussian beam's electric field appears to be a circular distribution on the x-y plane, and observe the electric field interaction between a gold nanoparticle with this electric field.

I am using the Gaussian beam equation, with a fixed z arbitrary value of z:

E(x,y)= (w0/w)*exp(-((x^2)+(y^2))/(w^2))*exp(-j*k*((x^2)+(y^2))/(2*R_curvature))*exp(j*(atan(z/z0)))

under the Electromagnetic waves, frequency domain.

I have simulated the Gaussian beam E field (at a single z value) on the x-y plane by placing the Gaussian beam equation under the Background electric field at the x direction. Is it correct to say that since the Gaussian E field is dependent on both x and y values, placing the equation in either the x or y field of the background electric field generates the same result?

Sorry if this question sounds elementary, I am new to this software and this is my very first project! Much thanks!

Nicholas Lin

0 Replies Last Post 10 nov 2015, 07:01 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Weikang Nicholas Lin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.