Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary conditions in magnetic field no currents physics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am trying to calculate the field around a permanent magnet for which I am using the ACDC module with the magnetic field no currents (mfnc) physics. I also have several symmetry planes in my geometry which I would like to utilize to reduce the size of my mesh, but this gives some problems.

What I want to do, is described very nicely here:
www.comsol.com/blogs/exploiting-symmetry-simplify-magnetic-field-modeling/

Boundaries for which n dot B = 0 (surface vector dot field) can be specified with the magnetic insulation boundary condition. Here the field is parallel to the surface.

I can however not figure out how to specify boundaries where n x B = 0 (surface vector cross field), eg. where the field is normal to the surface.

Unfortunately the "perfect magnetic conductor" boundary condition used in the link above, is not available in the mfnc physics. Do you have any suggestions on how to impose the same boundary condition in mfnc, on how to eventually use boundary conditions from mf physics in the mfnc physics (if possible, I am new to this), or if there is some good mathematical reason why this boundary condition is not available in the mfnc physics?

Cheers,
Simon (version 5.1)

2 Replies Last Post 18 nov 2015, 10:33 GMT-5
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 18 nov 2015, 09:14 GMT-5
Dear Simon,

please have a look at this mfnc model that exploits 8-fold symmetry of a horseshoe magnet.
ch.comsol.com/model/permanent-magnet-78

Best regards,

Sven Friedel
Dear Simon, please have a look at this mfnc model that exploits 8-fold symmetry of a horseshoe magnet. https://ch.comsol.com/model/permanent-magnet-78 Best regards, Sven Friedel

Posted: 9 years ago 18 nov 2015, 10:33 GMT-5
Dear Sven

Thank you for the answer, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Best regards,
Simon
Dear Sven Thank you for the answer, that was exactly what I was looking for. Best regards, Simon

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.