Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Truss structure optimization

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi all,

I'm kinda a newbie and i'm trying to optimize a simple 2D truss structure using optimization solver.
the objective function is total strain energy of the structure (mod1.truss.Ws_tot) and the constraint is total weight (mod1.mass1.mass).
control variables are a set of three length parameters of position of truss members and cross section area.
I read everything available on comsol documentation about optimization, but i still couldnt figure out how to use derivative based optimization algorithms to this model.

I think the problem is that my objective and constraint is indirectly related to control variables but i dont know how to connect them in the right way.

And i have deadline soon, any kind of help would be really appreciated.

Regards, Kosar

2 Replies Last Post 13 dic 2015, 12:39 GMT-5
Krishnaswamy Veluswamy

Posted: 9 years ago 13 dic 2015, 07:01 GMT-5
Hi,
Even i am dealing with the same kind of optimization problem, but for CFD.
I have comsol support for this case, waiting for an reply.

But before that I would suggest you to split the problem and run without any constraints.

If u get any solution just post me to.
Hi, Even i am dealing with the same kind of optimization problem, but for CFD. I have comsol support for this case, waiting for an reply. But before that I would suggest you to split the problem and run without any constraints. If u get any solution just post me to.

Posted: 9 years ago 13 dic 2015, 12:39 GMT-5

Hi,
Even i am dealing with the same kind of optimization problem, but for CFD.
I have comsol support for this case, waiting for an reply.

But before that I would suggest you to split the problem and run without any constraints.

If u get any solution just post me to.

Splitting the problem is not a good option for me, i would appreciate it if you shared any reply from comsol support.

Best, Kosar.
[QUOTE] Hi, Even i am dealing with the same kind of optimization problem, but for CFD. I have comsol support for this case, waiting for an reply. But before that I would suggest you to split the problem and run without any constraints. If u get any solution just post me to. [/QUOTE] Splitting the problem is not a good option for me, i would appreciate it if you shared any reply from comsol support. Best, Kosar.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.