Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

derivative expression

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

This is probably very simple, but anyway:
how do I write derivative in the expression-windows e.g. I want to do a line integration of a derivative: (du/dx)^2.
I am using version 4.0a

/Emil

1 Reply Last Post 29 set 2010, 10:54 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 set 2010, 10:54 GMT-4
Hi

Comsol has a certain number of derivative pre-defined, such as the components of the displacement field _u_ :

ux = du/dx, uy = du/dy, ... vx = dv/dx ...

see the doc (reference guide)

as well as second derivatives

uxx = d(du/dx)/dx ...

and time derivatives if applicable and turned on

ut = du/dt ...

higer derivatives might be obtained with the operator:
"d(var_name,x)"
but note that higher derivatives means also higher noise from the derivation of the meshing variations and the numerical difference of comparable values (binary number representation errors)

Now in V4 you have to take car of which "frame" you are using (physics dependent) as you have the material frame, the spatial and the mesh frame ....
These were there in V3.5 too, but the naming has slightly changed and the convention is more systematic.
Each frame has different coordinate identifiers: i.e. (x,y,z), (X,Y,Z), (Xm,Yn,Zm) ...

i.e. for all items above you also have uX = du/dX etc, and x and X is not necesarily the same (neither ux and uX), as they represent two different frames that might be driven differently, not to talk about the Xm mesh frame elements ...

pls refer to the doc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Comsol has a certain number of derivative pre-defined, such as the components of the displacement field _u_ : ux = du/dx, uy = du/dy, ... vx = dv/dx ... see the doc (reference guide) as well as second derivatives uxx = d(du/dx)/dx ... and time derivatives if applicable and turned on ut = du/dt ... higer derivatives might be obtained with the operator: "d(var_name,x)" but note that higher derivatives means also higher noise from the derivation of the meshing variations and the numerical difference of comparable values (binary number representation errors) Now in V4 you have to take car of which "frame" you are using (physics dependent) as you have the material frame, the spatial and the mesh frame .... These were there in V3.5 too, but the naming has slightly changed and the convention is more systematic. Each frame has different coordinate identifiers: i.e. (x,y,z), (X,Y,Z), (Xm,Yn,Zm) ... i.e. for all items above you also have uX = du/dX etc, and x and X is not necesarily the same (neither ux and uX), as they represent two different frames that might be driven differently, not to talk about the Xm mesh frame elements ... pls refer to the doc -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.