Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

total heat budget

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model heat transfer in a system. The system allows blackbody radiation and conduction. There is no convection as the open volume is a vacuum.

I am trying to verify my model by inspecting the energy budget.

the system is cylindrically symmetric. I am using the "derived values" to do line integrals and surface integrals and using the "compute surface integral" check box to turn the line integral into a surface integral and the surface integral into a volume integral.

When I try to add up the energies I am adding the radiative heat flux "ht.rflux" and the normal conductive heat flux ht.ndflux and expecting this to equal the deposited energy but it is not working out. What other form of heat flux am I missing?

I was trying different things and I saw there are components of heat flux. When I look at the radial component of the heat flux on a surface perpendicular to the axis there is a huge number. When I look at the magnitude of the heat flux it includes this number. What does this even mean. There should be no radial component of flux when the radius is in the plane of the surface. I also don't understand how comsol goes from radial and z components to magnitude. It isn't adding the components in quadrature so I don't know what it means.

1 Reply Last Post 15 dic 2015, 02:29 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 15 dic 2015, 02:29 GMT-5
Hi,

It's a good question. I think that it could be great if the comsol team make some blog examples to show how to compute accurate fluxes in different types of nonisothermal problems.
It may help a lot of users.

Best regards

Julien
Hi, It's a good question. I think that it could be great if the comsol team make some blog examples to show how to compute accurate fluxes in different types of nonisothermal problems. It may help a lot of users. Best regards Julien

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.