Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Regarding Contact modeling in time dependent solver for the simulation of Incremental sheet forming process

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,
I am working on the simulation of incremental sheet forming process. It is very non linear structural mechanics problem in which i make a contact between tool and sheet with time dependent problem. Sheet will be deformed by the tool according to the prescribed tool path.

As far i know comsol does not support the time dependent explicit solver. and with the implicit solver i am facing convergence issue.

Can any on guide me about decreasing the time step and solver settings.

Below is the link of a video of the simulation of Incremental sheet forming process which i want to do in comsol
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQjoDmCG-Xc

2 Replies Last Post 15 dic 2015, 12:36 GMT-5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 15 dic 2015, 10:55 GMT-5
Hi,

The first question to ask is whether the simulation is truly time dependent (that is, inertial effects or strain rates are important)?

If not, it is far more efficient to use a parametric continuation solver.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, The first question to ask is whether the simulation is truly time dependent (that is, inertial effects or strain rates are important)? If not, it is far more efficient to use a parametric continuation solver. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago 15 dic 2015, 12:36 GMT-5
Dear Henrik,
Thank you for your reply,

Actually the strain rate is important in my model. Can you please explain what do you mean by inertial effect.
Please go through the below link. This process i want to simulate in COMSOL.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Ntxb98-Ak

Please help.
Dear Henrik, Thank you for your reply, Actually the strain rate is important in my model. Can you please explain what do you mean by inertial effect. Please go through the below link. This process i want to simulate in COMSOL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Ntxb98-Ak Please help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.