Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling of a switched reluctance motor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I'm a new COMSOL user(have the 4.0a version).
I would like to model a Switched Reluctance Motor(attached picture).
The design is rather simple. The stator consists of multiple salient electromagnets. The rotor consists of soft magnetic material, such as laminated silicon steel, which has multiple projections acting as salient magnetic poles through magnetic reluctance.

There are some requirements for this motor. The most important is the minimum torque that is have to be able to deliver.
My assignment is to design the interior of the motor and define the size, materials etc. in order to fulfill these requirements. Basically this means that I have to do dynamic simulations of the magnetic fields in the motor.

To begin with I plan to make a 2D model(similar to the one in the attached picuture). When this model is working and I get more familiar with COMSOL, I would like to do the same in 3D.

First of all, does anyone have suggestions to where I could get some inspiration for this kind of model building and simulation(examples of similar models, papers or tutorials)?

I have already tried to build the 2D model. My main problem now is that I don't know have to model multiple electromagnets(with x number of turns) in an ordinary 2D model(without axial symmetry). Does anyone know how to do this?

I have a rather short period of time to do this project, so any help is welcome!
Thanks in advance

Best regards,
Daniel

3 Replies Last Post 8 set 2013, 03:57 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 ott 2010, 12:01 GMT-4
Hi

there is a very close model in the 3.5a version, probably not yet ported to V4, but you can get a good starting point by uploading it into V4.
Anyhow, first, if you are beginning with COMSOL: I can only advice start simple, do the exercices, at least of the physics you intend to use (I suppose ACDC).
If you cannot locate it, ask your local rep he should be able to upload it to you, but most probably it's already on the main Web site of Comsol

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there is a very close model in the 3.5a version, probably not yet ported to V4, but you can get a good starting point by uploading it into V4. Anyhow, first, if you are beginning with COMSOL: I can only advice start simple, do the exercices, at least of the physics you intend to use (I suppose ACDC). If you cannot locate it, ask your local rep he should be able to upload it to you, but most probably it's already on the main Web site of Comsol -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 mar 2012, 09:07 GMT-4
Hi Daniel,

Have you managed a way to model a switched reluctance motor using Comsol? I also want to model one and I'm curios if you cand help me with some guidelines.

Thanks very much,
Andrei
Hi Daniel, Have you managed a way to model a switched reluctance motor using Comsol? I also want to model one and I'm curios if you cand help me with some guidelines. Thanks very much, Andrei

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 set 2013, 03:57 GMT-4
Hi ivar can i get the model that you say, because i have same problem.. thanks very much
Hi ivar can i get the model that you say, because i have same problem.. thanks very much

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.