Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solid to Shell Conversion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hallo Everyone

I have a model of a loudspeaker enclosure in solid. Due to the time taken in the simulation in 3D, Acoustics solid interaction module, i am thinking of using the Acoustics shell interaction module as used in the vented loudspeaker enclosure model from comsol tutorials.

I am using comsol 5.1 and i am trying to use the geometry-convert-midsurface to convert my solid to shell model. Is it the right approach? Or do i need to do some more processing in between to convert my solid model to shell model,

3 Replies Last Post 7 gen 2016, 02:47 GMT-5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 4 gen 2016, 11:07 GMT-5
Hi,

Getting the midsurfaces is one possibility.

But it is often easier to place the shell mesh on the top or bottom surface of your geometry and use the Offset option in the Shell interface to indicate the location of the midsurface. For Acoustics problems, this strategy can also have the advantage that the acoustic domain is not increased by 1/2 of the shell thickness, which it will be if the shell is modeled on the midsurface.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Getting the midsurfaces is one possibility. But it is often easier to place the shell mesh on the top or bottom surface of your geometry and use the Offset option in the Shell interface to indicate the location of the midsurface. For Acoustics problems, this strategy can also have the advantage that the acoustic domain is not increased by 1/2 of the shell thickness, which it will be if the shell is modeled on the midsurface. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago 5 gen 2016, 02:50 GMT-5
Hallo

thanks for the quick reply, but i am still quite new to COMSOL , so could you please explain me in bit details about the process you suggested. Thanks in advance.
Hallo thanks for the quick reply, but i am still quite new to COMSOL , so could you please explain me in bit details about the process you suggested. Thanks in advance.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 7 gen 2016, 02:47 GMT-5
Hi,

You can find an example of shell modeling using offset in the Application Libraries. The model bracket_shell (under Structural Mechanics Module-> Tutorials) displays this technique. Actually, this example is a combination of solid and shell modeling.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, You can find an example of shell modeling using offset in the Application Libraries. The model bracket_shell (under Structural Mechanics Module-> Tutorials) displays this technique. Actually, this example is a combination of solid and shell modeling. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.