Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Surface to Surface Radiation Heat Transfer coupled with Electric Currents Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model heat generated from a coil within a volume of air. Currently, I am getting an error saying that I have faulty initial conditions.

The coil has 10.6V running through it, which should generate some heat, but when I get results, the entirety of the model (without air) stays at room temperature with the exception of one end of the coil which goes to astronomical temperatures.

I would like to see the heat distribution throughout the model from the coil to the extended guard next to it, as well as the temperature of the air. Please let me know what is wrong with this model.

Thank you for your help.

4 Replies Last Post 5 feb 2016, 12:39 GMT-5

Posted: 8 years ago 4 feb 2016, 17:07 GMT-5
I would like to attach the model, but I am receiving a 'file size error' when attempting to attach it. Please let me know what I can do to fix this.
I would like to attach the model, but I am receiving a 'file size error' when attempting to attach it. Please let me know what I can do to fix this.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 5 feb 2016, 08:28 GMT-5
Hello Yen-Lin,
You can drastically reduce the file size by clearing the mesh and solution (those buttons are on the Mesh and Results ribbons).
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Yen-Lin, You can drastically reduce the file size by clearing the mesh and solution (those buttons are on the Mesh and Results ribbons). Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 5 feb 2016, 09:38 GMT-5
it isn't always obvious from the error message what the problem is, but you could check through all of the nodes to see if you have missed out specifying some parameter.
Suggest starting with a very simple geometry (or tutorial example) and once that works stagewise modify it towards your desired geometry. Eg start with a bar in air (I think there is a tutorial example)
With surface to surface radiation I found the user manual confusing about specifying the diffuse surfaces. Using radiation groups to define pairings of surfaces that are visible to each other saves a lot on memory.
For initial value error maybe try ramping up the voltage slowly from the start, or do a parametric sweep for voltage starting at low values. It might also help specifying a higher initial temperature (assuming you are modelling steady state, not time dependent)
it isn't always obvious from the error message what the problem is, but you could check through all of the nodes to see if you have missed out specifying some parameter. Suggest starting with a very simple geometry (or tutorial example) and once that works stagewise modify it towards your desired geometry. Eg start with a bar in air (I think there is a tutorial example) With surface to surface radiation I found the user manual confusing about specifying the diffuse surfaces. Using radiation groups to define pairings of surfaces that are visible to each other saves a lot on memory. For initial value error maybe try ramping up the voltage slowly from the start, or do a parametric sweep for voltage starting at low values. It might also help specifying a higher initial temperature (assuming you are modelling steady state, not time dependent)

Posted: 8 years ago 5 feb 2016, 12:39 GMT-5
Here is the model I am having trouble with.
Here is the model I am having trouble with.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.