Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Hello everybody: please help me: (no convergence)

Mohammadreza Barzegaran

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I always get these two message in my simulation with comsol 3.5a

1st: Failed to find a solution:
Divergence of the linear iterations.
Returned solution has not converged

2nd:
Failed to find a solution:
The relative residual is greater than the relative tolerance, for the direct solver.
Returned solution has not converged.

my simulation is in quasi-static electromagnetic analysis and I used almost all of solvers: GMRES, FGMRES and any kinds of pre- and post-conditioners.

Is it because of solver or meshing?

3 Replies Last Post 20 ott 2010, 18:11 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 ott 2010, 02:07 GMT-4
I would suggest always to start with a simple model and simpler solvers than iterative solvers. Use Pardiso solver, or if your model is not too large use MUMPS solver, which is even more robust.

movaffagh bashi,
danial

--
Comsol 4.0a
Ubuntu 10.04.1
I would suggest always to start with a simple model and simpler solvers than iterative solvers. Use Pardiso solver, or if your model is not too large use MUMPS solver, which is even more robust. movaffagh bashi, danial -- Comsol 4.0a Ubuntu 10.04.1

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 ott 2010, 03:48 GMT-4
Be sure that your boundary conditions are well defined and you have consistent units for material properties.

Regards,
Özen
Be sure that your boundary conditions are well defined and you have consistent units for material properties. Regards, Özen

Mohammadreza Barzegaran

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 ott 2010, 18:11 GMT-4
I checked everything again and I changed the B-H curve into consistent mur which has had effect and the solution goes up to 99% but error in this moment with:

with GMRES solver relative tolerance is 1.9e-5 with relative residual 4.9e-8 so it again says:

failed to find a solution
the relative error is greater than the relative tolerance, for the direct solver
returned solution has not converged

but some answers are logical e.g voltage distribution but not magnetic field density.

Do you think it is because of importing the shape from another software. is the relative tolerance of importing important?
I checked everything again and I changed the B-H curve into consistent mur which has had effect and the solution goes up to 99% but error in this moment with: with GMRES solver relative tolerance is 1.9e-5 with relative residual 4.9e-8 so it again says: failed to find a solution the relative error is greater than the relative tolerance, for the direct solver returned solution has not converged but some answers are logical e.g voltage distribution but not magnetic field density. Do you think it is because of importing the shape from another software. is the relative tolerance of importing important?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.