Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creating geometry dependent force

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I try to create a force that dependent on an angle, to simplify earodynamic forces. Therefore I created a variable "Angle" under definitions: Angle = asin(-t1z).

To check if my formula was right I plot the variable Angle and the result were as expected. However when I try to introduce a boundary load: Angle*1[N] I get this error:

Undefined variable.
- Variable: comp1.Angle
- Geometry: geom1
- Boundary: 6
Failed to evaluate Jacobian of expression.
- Expression: ((1/comp1.mbd.bndl1.selA)*comp1.mbd.bndl1.FTy)*dvol
Failed to evaluate Jacobian of expression.
- Expression: (comp1.mbd.bndl1.FTy*test(comp1.mbd.bndl1.uy)/comp1.mbd.bndl1.selA)*(dvol)

Has someone an idea how to solve this problem? A test simulation is added.

Thanks in advance!
Rijk

3 Replies Last Post 3 mar 2016, 12:06 GMT-5
François Mandias COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 3 mar 2016, 09:09 GMT-5
Dear Rijk,

I advise you mail your post to: support@comsol.com

Best,
François Mandias
Dear Rijk, I advise you mail your post to: support@comsol.com Best, François Mandias

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 3 mar 2016, 10:02 GMT-5
Hi,

It seems that the Angle variable is defined on edge 11, whereas the boundary load that's using it is defined on boundary 6. Defining Angle on boundary 6 instead, the simulation runs.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, It seems that the Angle variable is defined on edge 11, whereas the boundary load that's using it is defined on boundary 6. Defining Angle on boundary 6 instead, the simulation runs. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 8 years ago 3 mar 2016, 12:06 GMT-5
Thank you for the replies! The comsol support helped me out.
Because the variable Angle is defined on another boundary as the load is applied. So I needed to create another variable or average operator that copies the local variable to a variable that is defined on the entiry geometry

The solution is attached.
Thank you for the replies! The comsol support helped me out. Because the variable Angle is defined on another boundary as the load is applied. So I needed to create another variable or average operator that copies the local variable to a variable that is defined on the entiry geometry The solution is attached.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.