Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric double layer capacitor (EDLC)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all!

I am trying to develop a model to describe a EDLC. There are some papers of COMSOL developers on this topic.

In the first model, a PNP (poisson - nerst plank model) is developed. The model is available in COMSOL and coupled electrostatic and transport of diluted species. I also found a a project explaining the model:

www.comsol.com/model/diffuse-double-layer-21981
tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2347&context=all_theses

In the second model, a PNP model + butler-voltmer eq. is developed. However, I do not know how to couple butler-voltmer kinetics to the PNP model.

www.comsol.co.in/paper/simulat...-double-layer-capacitance-7925

I found in COMSOL help that PNP model could be coupled to second current distribution physics, and with it add butler- voltmer equations. However, I don,t find how to couple correctly the voltage.

In comsol support they say me that another option to model EDLC was available, using battery with binary electrolyte. In EDLC, absorption/desorption occurs, non-faradaic reactions. However, I do not know how to delete the reaction node in porous electrodes.

0 Replies Last Post 4 mar 2016, 06:41 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Laura Oca

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.