Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Transient acoustics in a solid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to model an acoustic wave in a solid (polypropylene and aluminium). I can see that I am able to use the same solid materials in the transient pressure acoustics and in Solid mechanics, so I want to ask which one do you recomend me to use.

I already did some try outs in both physics:

In the transient pressure acoustics module, the wave is generated and travels through the material undistorted.

In the solids mechanics, the wave is heavily distorted and with big oscilations.

Any of them match the lab experimentation but I believe I can fix it adding some damping, but I would like to know in which of both physics should I work on.

The source of the acoustic wave its an impulse between 1 and 5 MHz of frequency.

Kind Regards

2 Replies Last Post 21 nov 2016, 06:38 GMT-5
François Mandias COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 29 mar 2016, 02:27 GMT-4
Hi Guillermo,

I suggest you address your post directly to: support@comsol.com

Best,
François Mandias
Hi Guillermo, I suggest you address your post directly to: support@comsol.com Best, François Mandias

Posted: 8 years ago 21 nov 2016, 06:38 GMT-5
Hello,Can I ask you how to set a spot source at the center of solid cylinder?
Thank you !
Hello,Can I ask you how to set a spot source at the center of solid cylinder? Thank you !

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.