Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary conditions for electromagnetic waves

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear comminity,

Can you help me with the following:

What should be the boundary conditions if my wave changes its polarisation during the propagation from linear to elyptically - polarised? I suppose ports will not work, because we should define the polarisation of the wave, but in my case it can vary.

I tried PML, but it doesn`t work properly.

So I have a linear - polarised plane wave that is propagating through anisotrpic medium and changes its polarisation to elyptic.

Thanks for help!

7 Replies Last Post 25 mar 2016, 16:45 GMT-4
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 24 mar 2016, 08:03 GMT-4
Eugene,

Attached is a model for linearly polarized wave traveling in biaxial media. Wave polarization keeps changing as it propagates, as shown in the attached image. You can still use PML but it requires special scaling.

Regards,
Sergei
Eugene, Attached is a model for linearly polarized wave traveling in biaxial media. Wave polarization keeps changing as it propagates, as shown in the attached image. You can still use PML but it requires special scaling. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 8 years ago 24 mar 2016, 12:49 GMT-4
Sergei,

Thanks a lot!!!

Why is the model 3D? It taked more time to compute such model. My model is 2D, is it OK? Maybe there is some problems while modelling this in 2D?

Sergei, Thanks a lot!!! Why is the model 3D? It taked more time to compute such model. My model is 2D, is it OK? Maybe there is some problems while modelling this in 2D?

Posted: 8 years ago 25 mar 2016, 07:19 GMT-4
Actually, I have more important question, i will be very grateful if you will answer me, because I am trying to figure out it last couple of months.

I am modeling Fresnel equations with nanorods,but I can't use Ports because i have spherical scattered wave and ports will reflect it.

I tried to use scattering bc with excitation wave E0*exp(i*k*y). And got the right answer. But when I use 2 PMLs with background field E0*exp(i*k*y) instead of scattering bc I get the wrong answer.

Where can be the problem?
Actually, I have more important question, i will be very grateful if you will answer me, because I am trying to figure out it last couple of months. I am modeling Fresnel equations with nanorods,but I can't use Ports because i have spherical scattered wave and ports will reflect it. I tried to use scattering bc with excitation wave E0*exp(i*k*y). And got the right answer. But when I use 2 PMLs with background field E0*exp(i*k*y) instead of scattering bc I get the wrong answer. Where can be the problem?

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 25 mar 2016, 09:25 GMT-4
Eugene,

Not sure I understand how you can solve this problem in 2D? Plane is required to specify arbitrary polarization of the wave, so you have two dimensions for polarization. Direction of wave propagation requires additional dimension - total 3D.

Regards,
Sergeo
Eugene, Not sure I understand how you can solve this problem in 2D? Plane is required to specify arbitrary polarization of the wave, so you have two dimensions for polarization. Direction of wave propagation requires additional dimension - total 3D. Regards, Sergeo

Posted: 8 years ago 25 mar 2016, 16:38 GMT-4
Hi,

I'm just curious can you use two ports for absorption, since you can always decomposite the total wave in two polarizations?

Hi, I'm just curious can you use two ports for absorption, since you can always decomposite the total wave in two polarizations?

Posted: 8 years ago 25 mar 2016, 16:45 GMT-4
Unfortunately not,because I can not predict the outcoming polarisation. I tune refractive indexes.

And also I will add nanorods into my model and there will be spherical wave also. So I need PML
Unfortunately not,because I can not predict the outcoming polarisation. I tune refractive indexes. And also I will add nanorods into my model and there will be spherical wave also. So I need PML

Posted: 8 years ago 25 mar 2016, 16:45 GMT-4
Unfortunately not,because I can not predict the outcoming polarisation. I tune refractive indexes.

And also I will add nanorods into my model and there will be spherical wave also. So I need PML
Unfortunately not,because I can not predict the outcoming polarisation. I tune refractive indexes. And also I will add nanorods into my model and there will be spherical wave also. So I need PML

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.