Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can FSI simulate seal/contact deformation?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am doing a simulation of a sealing valve. Basically, with an extra force, the valve will seal the channel and there is no flow across it. There is a layer of polymer on the valve so when the valve is closed the polymer will deform a little. I realized that I need to use FSI as the study physics and there will be a contact pair between polymer and rigidity. I think the example "Peristaltic Pump" (www.comsol.com/model/peristaltic-pump-985) is similar to my application and I want to add a sealing contact based on the model but I cannot figure it out. Does FSI can do "sealing" simulation (separate fluid when structure deformed)?

Thank you very much!

3 Replies Last Post 22 set 2016, 11:45 GMT-4

Posted: 8 years ago 20 apr 2016, 10:57 GMT-4
Thank you very much for your help!

That offset setting can prevent the conflict of two boundary conditions. Thank you!

jQ
Thank you very much for your help! That offset setting can prevent the conflict of two boundary conditions. Thank you! jQ

Posted: 8 years ago 26 lug 2016, 14:34 GMT-4
Hello,

How do you define the contact pair for this kind of simulation? I can apply the contact pair under definitions, but then whenever I enact this condition in the physics settings it overrides my FSI boundary, which I need to initiate contact in the first place. Is there away to have a boundary controlled by FSI physics also serve as a destination in the contact pair?
Hello, How do you define the contact pair for this kind of simulation? I can apply the contact pair under definitions, but then whenever I enact this condition in the physics settings it overrides my FSI boundary, which I need to initiate contact in the first place. Is there away to have a boundary controlled by FSI physics also serve as a destination in the contact pair?

Posted: 8 years ago 22 set 2016, 11:45 GMT-4
Dear Nagi,

For that model you shared by linkage, I am interested in it. It looks pretty cool. How did you define the final step of geometry construction, "form assembly" or "form union". As you know, If the "form assembly" were selected in geometry setup, fluid-solid boundary would double and be not applicable to FSI node under Multiphysics module. Another question is that, how do you configure the initial gap between adjacent structural domain, no gap or small gap? At best, did any documentary about this model published? I hope to read the paper about it.

Thanks,

Zeng
Dear Nagi, For that model you shared by linkage, I am interested in it. It looks pretty cool. How did you define the final step of geometry construction, "form assembly" or "form union". As you know, If the "form assembly" were selected in geometry setup, fluid-solid boundary would double and be not applicable to FSI node under Multiphysics module. Another question is that, how do you configure the initial gap between adjacent structural domain, no gap or small gap? At best, did any documentary about this model published? I hope to read the paper about it. Thanks, Zeng

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.