Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electromagnetic (Optical) heating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a model in which I want to study the induced heat due to absorption of waves in the range of optical frequencies. As the minimum dimensions of my model are near the wavelenths, I am using microwave heating under heat transfer in solids module (electromagnetic waves frq domain+heat transfer in solids).
My question is that which subnode I can use for the absorption of waves at the surface of my model (which is metallic in this case). There is a subnode called "port" under electromagnetic waves but I don't think that can be used for metallic boundary and even if I use that port to define the input power of radiation, the simulation shows a very very high temperature which is not possible.

So, if anybody is working with radiation heating etc and have some idea which type of interface can be used, I would appreciate the help. Thanks

~Hasan Ali

2 Replies Last Post 12 apr 2016, 04:15 GMT-4
Niklas Rom COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 7 apr 2016, 09:54 GMT-4
Hi Hassan,
the Impedance boundary condtion is probably the best choice. There is a blog post about this here:
www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-metallic-objects-in-wave-electromagnetics-problems/

kind regards
Niklas

Hi,

I have a model in which I want to study the induced heat due to absorption of waves in the range of optical frequencies. As the minimum dimensions of my model are near the wavelenths, I am using microwave heating under heat transfer in solids module (electromagnetic waves frq domain+heat transfer in solids).
My question is that which subnode I can use for the absorption of waves at the surface of my model (which is metallic in this case). There is a subnode called "port" under electromagnetic waves but I don't think that can be used for metallic boundary and even if I use that port to define the input power of radiation, the simulation shows a very very high temperature which is not possible.

So, if anybody is working with radiation heating etc and have some idea which type of interface can be used, I would appreciate the help. Thanks

~Hasan Ali

Hi Hassan, the Impedance boundary condtion is probably the best choice. There is a blog post about this here: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-metallic-objects-in-wave-electromagnetics-problems/ kind regards Niklas [QUOTE] Hi, I have a model in which I want to study the induced heat due to absorption of waves in the range of optical frequencies. As the minimum dimensions of my model are near the wavelenths, I am using microwave heating under heat transfer in solids module (electromagnetic waves frq domain+heat transfer in solids). My question is that which subnode I can use for the absorption of waves at the surface of my model (which is metallic in this case). There is a subnode called "port" under electromagnetic waves but I don't think that can be used for metallic boundary and even if I use that port to define the input power of radiation, the simulation shows a very very high temperature which is not possible. So, if anybody is working with radiation heating etc and have some idea which type of interface can be used, I would appreciate the help. Thanks ~Hasan Ali [/QUOTE]

Posted: 8 years ago 12 apr 2016, 04:15 GMT-4
Dear Niklas,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Regards

Hasan Ali
Dear Niklas, Thanks for your suggestions. Regards Hasan Ali

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.