Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fracture Propagation in Comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

Can I use Comsol to simulate Physics relating about:
+ Fracture initation
+ Fracture Propagation

I have been searching for examples about this , even on Facebook but could not find anything.

Can somebody who experienced it before help me, please ?

Thanks a lot for any help !

Best regards,
N.N

5 Replies Last Post 29 mag 2017, 17:21 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2 mag 2016, 05:55 GMT-4
Hi,

You cannot propagate a crack in an arbitrary direction, but if you have for example a symmetry plane or an material interface, you can use a technique similar to the one outlined in

www.comsol.com/model/mixed-mode-debonding-of-a-laminated-composite-19961

For an example of how to compute a J-integral, see

www.comsol.com/model/single-edge-crack-988

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, You cannot propagate a crack in an arbitrary direction, but if you have for example a symmetry plane or an material interface, you can use a technique similar to the one outlined in https://www.comsol.com/model/mixed-mode-debonding-of-a-laminated-composite-19961 For an example of how to compute a J-integral, see https://www.comsol.com/model/single-edge-crack-988 Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago 2 mag 2016, 23:03 GMT-4
Hi,
Thank you very much for your help !

Hi, Thank you very much for your help !

Posted: 8 years ago 21 mag 2016, 21:49 GMT-4
Hi Henrik,
I read the documents that you mentioned before and I am thinking to implement a procedure by using mixed mode intensity (K1, K2) to simulate a crack propagation. By using this method a crack propagate in an arbitrary direction. On this condition, do you think that it is possible to simulate a crack propagation in an arbitrary direction?
Hi Henrik, I read the documents that you mentioned before and I am thinking to implement a procedure by using mixed mode intensity (K1, K2) to simulate a crack propagation. By using this method a crack propagate in an arbitrary direction. On this condition, do you think that it is possible to simulate a crack propagation in an arbitrary direction?

Posted: 8 years ago 1 dic 2016, 11:21 GMT-5
Hello Nhan,

I also working on fracture in linear elastic material as a part of my model. I would appreciate if you let me know how you model the crack propagation.

Thanks
Morvarid
Hello Nhan, I also working on fracture in linear elastic material as a part of my model. I would appreciate if you let me know how you model the crack propagation. Thanks Morvarid

Posted: 7 years ago 29 mag 2017, 17:21 GMT-4
Dear Dr. Henrik Sönnerlind:

Thank you for sharing us the linkage. I am going to model the hydraulic fracturing processes with COMSOL. At present, the coupled HM cohesive zone model is widely used to simulate the hydraulic fracturing. However, the cohesive zone model given in COMSOL only include the mechanical processes. Could you please give me a basic idea how to use the COMSOL to do hydraulic fracturing?

Thank you so much for your help.
Dear Dr. Henrik Sönnerlind: Thank you for sharing us the linkage. I am going to model the hydraulic fracturing processes with COMSOL. At present, the coupled HM cohesive zone model is widely used to simulate the hydraulic fracturing. However, the cohesive zone model given in COMSOL only include the mechanical processes. Could you please give me a basic idea how to use the COMSOL to do hydraulic fracturing? Thank you so much for your help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.