Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Steel plate falling in oil due to graivty

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Im trying to simulate a thin steel plate dropping through oil due to the force of gravity.
Currently I'm using the laminar flow, solid mechanics and moving mesh module, and whilst the model solves for pressure and velocity, the steel plate doesn't seem to move.

Can anyone provide any incite into why the plate isn't moving. I have added a prescribed displacement to the steel plate, which moves the plate by a function of gravity over time.
The steel plate is initially submerged within the oil, but I would eventually like it to start outside the oil, surrounded by air.

Thanks allot,
Ben

1 Reply Last Post 13 mag 2016, 05:23 GMT-4
Rob Boswell COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 13 mag 2016, 05:23 GMT-4
Hi Ben,

Throughout your trial of COMSOL Multiphysics you have access to full technical support. You can submit your question directly to our COMSOL experts at uk.comsol.com/support/case/. They will then be able to provide some detailed advice to help with your work.

Regards,

Rob

COMSOL UK
Hi Ben, Throughout your trial of COMSOL Multiphysics you have access to full technical support. You can submit your question directly to our COMSOL experts at https://uk.comsol.com/support/case/. They will then be able to provide some detailed advice to help with your work. Regards, Rob COMSOL UK

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.