Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to track a moving surface temperature?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello
In my comsol model myy water level is decreasing gradually. I am modeling that with moving mesh deformed geometry (dg) physics. Now I need to calculate the water surface temperature each time step. I put a Line Probe along the surface of the water, but I am not sure if the probe is following the moving boundary, rather it remains unmoved. So how can I measure the temperature of the moving boundary? I need that temperature because this temperature is a input variable of some other quantity that I want to calculate also.

1 Reply Last Post 7 giu 2016, 15:20 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 7 giu 2016, 15:20 GMT-4
Hi

Normally the ALE moving mesh "defines a displacement of the spatial frame (x,y,z) with respect to the material frame (X,Y,Z)".
So if you have an original point P1 at material location (X,Y,Z) then if you ask for the spatial coordinate of this point (x,y,z) you should know where the point is in the deformed mesh reference.

Have a look at the attached "toy model"

Hence your temperature is T(x,y,z) that you can obtain by "Defining" a "Point Integration" over the desired point P1 of the variable "T"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Normally the ALE moving mesh "defines a displacement of the spatial frame (x,y,z) with respect to the material frame (X,Y,Z)". So if you have an original point P1 at material location (X,Y,Z) then if you ask for the spatial coordinate of this point (x,y,z) you should know where the point is in the deformed mesh reference. Have a look at the attached "toy model" Hence your temperature is T(x,y,z) that you can obtain by "Defining" a "Point Integration" over the desired point P1 of the variable "T" -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.