Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Eigenvalue missing imaginary part

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am trying to compute the Q factor of the whispering gallery mode in a silica sphere (10 um in diameter) with COMSOL 5.1. I am using weak form PED physics, and searching for eigenvalues. The Q factor is defined as Real(Eigenvalue)/(2*Imag(Eigenvalue)), the resulting surface plot makes sense but the related eigenvalue only gets real part.

What is really strange is that when build the model exactly the same with COMSOL 3.5, the eigenvalue comes with reasonable imaginary part . But when I run the model with COMSOL 5.1, again no imaginary part.

So what is going on there?

Thank you.

0 Replies Last Post 13 giu 2016, 22:26 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Yingchun Qin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.