Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

which physic

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

which physic is suitable for investigate lorentz force produced by a permanent magnet or background field for example 25 tesla and a current density ?

1 Reply Last Post 14 giu 2016, 09:59 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 14 giu 2016, 09:59 GMT-4
Hi

I would say AC/DC->Magnetic fields (mf)

When you start building a new model with the Wizard you have a little description of each physics that you want to choose that appears on the right side and explains a bit what it is good for....
Or if you want more info you can press F1 for help

Usually, for magnetic forces, you can use mf (if electric field contributions are negligible) or mef ((if electric field contributions are not negligible)

Also, the magnetic force values are not always correct and getting them right is a bit tricky. You have to have a fine mesh, avoid sharp corners, and use infinite element domains around your model....

A simple check I always do is to see if the force and the reaction force are equal and in the opposite directions :-)
If this is the first time you use the magnetic module start with an example from the application library.
Example: www.comsol.com/model/permanent-magnet-78

I Hope this helps

Dara
Hi I would say AC/DC->Magnetic fields (mf) When you start building a new model with the Wizard you have a little description of each physics that you want to choose that appears on the right side and explains a bit what it is good for.... Or if you want more info you can press F1 for help Usually, for magnetic forces, you can use mf (if electric field contributions are negligible) or mef ((if electric field contributions are not negligible) Also, the magnetic force values are not always correct and getting them right is a bit tricky. You have to have a fine mesh, avoid sharp corners, and use infinite element domains around your model.... A simple check I always do is to see if the force and the reaction force are equal and in the opposite directions :-) If this is the first time you use the magnetic module start with an example from the application library. Example: https://www.comsol.com/model/permanent-magnet-78 I Hope this helps Dara

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.