Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling Snap-through of curved beams-Post-buckling analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I am new to COMSOL and am trying to model the snap through of curved beams in one dimensional lattice in 3D. With one of the boundaries of lattice fixed and opposite boundary has been given a prescribed displacement. Lateral sides are on a roller constraints to prevent buckling in that direction. The stationary solver is set to run a continuation sweep over the displacement.

Few Questions:
1. I am having trouble with convergence when the lattice reaches a state where one of the curved beams is about to snap-through. I tried using smaller steps around that point and refining the mesh, which didn't help. Is there a way go past 'that' point?
2. How repeatable is snap-through phenomenon computationally?

Thanks in advance.
PS: An image of the lattice in 2D is attached.

1 Reply Last Post 27 giu 2016, 03:47 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 27 giu 2016, 03:47 GMT-4
Hi,

This example is a useful starting point for doing a post-buckling analysis:

www.comsol.com/model/postbuckling-analysis-of-a-hinged-cylindrical-shell-10257

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, This example is a useful starting point for doing a post-buckling analysis: https://www.comsol.com/model/postbuckling-analysis-of-a-hinged-cylindrical-shell-10257 Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.