Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Is it possible to use 2D-axisymmetry for a geometry that's axisymmetric but rf excitation that's not?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi guys,

Just wondering about this. I'm attempting to simulate an x-polarised gaussian beam in the emw module and then compare it to a cylindrical vector beam.

I can perform the simulation in 3D but I'm curious about whether it can be done more efficiently using axisymmetry. If I naively enter the gaussian and run the 2D-axisymmetric model I get a surprisingly reasonably answer, however, the resulting beam would be radially polarised rather than linearly polarised, which I don't want.

I can use a coordinate transformation to write the incident fields in terms of radial coordinates easily enough, but the solver does not recognise the radial coordinate phi in the fields.

Is there any way to do this, or is it that since the excitation isn't axisymmetric it just can't be done this way?

Cheers

0 Replies Last Post 5 lug 2016, 21:12 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Stu Earl

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.