Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

RF Transient Far Field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to calculate the the far field radiation pattern when modeling in the time domain.

Currently I'm modeling some pulsed terahertz photoconductive antennas, that is... dipole antennas on a semiconductor substrate, excited by defining a time-varying surface current in the dipole gap. There are multiple layers in the substrate, and I would like to see how these layers affect the far field shape of the emitted pulse.

From what I see, to do a far field setup you need to have PML boundaries defined. However, It looks like PMLs are not available in the transient solver.

If anyone has advice, it will be greatly appreciated.

-Nathan

1 Reply Last Post 6 ago 2016, 07:55 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 6 ago 2016, 07:55 GMT-4
Hi Nathan,

I am not sure if this works but if you analyse your antenna with some bandwidth and calculate the 2D inverse Fourier you should get the time signal at fare filed.
If you need only the signal at the max directivity of the antenna extract from this point the complex value over the necessary bandwidth. With IFFT you get the time signal.

Regards,
Stefan
Hi Nathan, I am not sure if this works but if you analyse your antenna with some bandwidth and calculate the 2D inverse Fourier you should get the time signal at fare filed. If you need only the signal at the max directivity of the antenna extract from this point the complex value over the necessary bandwidth. With IFFT you get the time signal. Regards, Stefan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.