Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Measuring the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am using this software for the first time. So, I am having very basic questions.
I need to find the capacitance of some complex geometries but I to get the hang of
features of this software. I wanted to first do the sample problem given in comsol
user guide on how to find capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor.

My doubt is in the boundary conditions of outer air box. When it is perfectly insulating with zero charge
why field lines will be tangential?

1 Reply Last Post 4 ago 2016, 22:31 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 4 ago 2016, 22:31 GMT-4
In one of the solutions that I came across did not specify any condition on the boundary surface like zero charge or zero potential. They just applied potential using terminal on one of the plates and zero on the other one and enclosed it into the air box. It gave very accurate answer for that problem!
Any Idea why was that? Or did I miss something?
In one of the solutions that I came across did not specify any condition on the boundary surface like zero charge or zero potential. They just applied potential using terminal on one of the plates and zero on the other one and enclosed it into the air box. It gave very accurate answer for that problem! Any Idea why was that? Or did I miss something?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.