Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simple integration with limits

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,
I have a linear projection(located along the y-axis) giving the heat loss/unit length for a simple rectangular channel located on the same axis. I simply want to integrate along this linear projection, and for any given y-location be able to tell what the heat loss is up to that point in the channel. I can't find a good description of how to do this. Some people suggest something about using a PDE, others seem to use the dest operator, but I can't get either to work. Adding an integration component coupling just gives me the total integral from 0 to y_max. Using integrate (expr,var,lower limit,upper limit) as follows integrate(....,y,0,y) gives me the correct values at the endpoints (y=0 and y=y_max), but in between is just a linear extrapolation it appears.

Any tips?
Thanks,
Bryan

2 Replies Last Post 9 ago 2016, 16:59 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 9 ago 2016, 11:47 GMT-4
Hello Bryan,
See www.comsol.com/blogs/overview-integration-methods-space-time/ .
The portion about antiderivatives may be what you're looking for.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Bryan, See https://www.comsol.com/blogs/overview-integration-methods-space-time/ . The portion about antiderivatives may be what you're looking for. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 9 ago 2016, 16:59 GMT-4
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the response. I had tried that without success before, but since you thought it work I gave it another shot and it worked. Now on to the next issue!

Thanks again,
Bryan
Hi Jeff, Thanks for the response. I had tried that without success before, but since you thought it work I gave it another shot and it worked. Now on to the next issue! Thanks again, Bryan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.