Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

secondary particle is different from primary particle

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, All,
I am doing 2D charged particle tracing using COMSOL. I have electron bombarding some surface, and generate some positive ion at the surface which would accelerate and travel in the same electrical field. I wonder if there is a node that I could set the secondary particle (ion here) properties (mass/charge) .

regards,
tao

2 Replies Last Post 10 ago 2016, 12:40 GMT-4
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 9 ago 2016, 11:15 GMT-4
Hi Tao, you need to add an "Override Properties" feature from the Charged Particle Tracing interface, and set the ion properties there. Then, in your "Secondary Emission" feature, in the "Inherit Properties" section, set the "Inherit properties" combobox to "Override Properties 1.

The above instructions mean that the secondary particles will inherit the mass and charge from the "Override Properties 1" feature instead of "Particle Properties 1".

Dan
Hi Tao, you need to add an "Override Properties" feature from the Charged Particle Tracing interface, and set the ion properties there. Then, in your "Secondary Emission" feature, in the "Inherit Properties" section, set the "Inherit properties" combobox to "Override Properties 1. The above instructions mean that the secondary particles will inherit the mass and charge from the "Override Properties 1" feature instead of "Particle Properties 1". Dan

Posted: 8 years ago 10 ago 2016, 12:40 GMT-4
Dan,
got it. thanks.
just push it a little further, when I google "COMSOL" and "sputtering", this article "Studying Target Erosion in Planar Sputtering Magnetrons Using a Discrete Model for Energetic Electrons" showed up. it is published on COMSOL 2013 conference in Rotterdam. but I can not locate it in COMSOL application gallery. I wonder if there is any example model showing ion sputtering effect. from what I read online, it seems little challenging for COMSOL to simulate ion sputtering.

regards,
Tao
Dan, got it. thanks. just push it a little further, when I google "COMSOL" and "sputtering", this article "Studying Target Erosion in Planar Sputtering Magnetrons Using a Discrete Model for Energetic Electrons" showed up. it is published on COMSOL 2013 conference in Rotterdam. but I can not locate it in COMSOL application gallery. I wonder if there is any example model showing ion sputtering effect. from what I read online, it seems little challenging for COMSOL to simulate ion sputtering. regards, Tao

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.