Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A problem in the wave optics module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hellow!

I would ask a question about a case in the "wave optics module--- optical ring resonator".
In the model, parametric sweep was used to calculate under the different wavelength.
However, as we know, the refractive index of different wavelength light is definitely different in a same material. but I see the refractive index of the material is a constant. Is there anything I misunderstand?

thanks~

1 Reply Last Post 24 ago 2016, 04:19 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 24 ago 2016, 04:19 GMT-4
Hi,

If you want you can set refractive index as a function of a wavelength. To do that right-click Global Defenition->Functions->Interpolation (or Analytic if you have analytical expression for refractive index). After that you make a function and you have the function name (it's duplicated in parentheses, by default I have int1). Then in material properties->refractive index you write "function_name (wavelength)", where function_name is your function name (int1 by default) and wavelength is the name of parameter that you use as a wavelength. And you have refractive index dependent on wavelength.

Good luck!

Hi, If you want you can set refractive index as a function of a wavelength. To do that right-click Global Defenition->Functions->Interpolation (or Analytic if you have analytical expression for refractive index). After that you make a function and you have the function name (it's duplicated in parentheses, by default I have int1). Then in material properties->refractive index you write "function_name (wavelength)", where function_name is your function name (int1 by default) and wavelength is the name of parameter that you use as a wavelength. And you have refractive index dependent on wavelength. Good luck!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.