Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

S-Parameters in Microwave Cavity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is it normal having a -30dB magnitude of S11 in a certain frequency, even if the the Microwave Cavity (Aluminum) is empty? What does it mean exactly? It could be the some parts of the cavity absorbs the MWs.

4 Replies Last Post 29 ago 2016, 13:58 GMT-4

Posted: 8 years ago 26 ago 2016, 10:49 GMT-4
Did you apply PEC or impedance boundary condition on cavity wall? Perform surface integration of power density at cavity wall to determine power absorption by wall.
Did you apply PEC or impedance boundary condition on cavity wall? Perform surface integration of power density at cavity wall to determine power absorption by wall.

Posted: 8 years ago 26 ago 2016, 11:54 GMT-4
Dear Sohan, Thanks for your attention, first I have assigned the cavity walls PEC then I have changed them into Impedance boundaries, because I also added the heat transfer in solids and convective heat flux for the outer surface of the cavity. More or less I followed the example of RF Heating.
Dear Sohan, Thanks for your attention, first I have assigned the cavity walls PEC then I have changed them into Impedance boundaries, because I also added the heat transfer in solids and convective heat flux for the outer surface of the cavity. More or less I followed the example of RF Heating.

Posted: 8 years ago 29 ago 2016, 11:40 GMT-4
Integrate the power absorbed in wall and load. Then determine the absolute value of S11 parameters any point on surface of the domain. Inpt_power*(1-abs(S11)^2) should be equal to integrated power. If this numbers are different than check for mesh quality. Let the software select the meshing scheme.
Integrate the power absorbed in wall and load. Then determine the absolute value of S11 parameters any point on surface of the domain. Inpt_power*(1-abs(S11)^2) should be equal to integrated power. If this numbers are different than check for mesh quality. Let the software select the meshing scheme.

Posted: 8 years ago 29 ago 2016, 13:58 GMT-4
I suppose that I have to do these integrations at one fixed frequency, right?
I suppose that I have to do these integrations at one fixed frequency, right?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.