Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of Nickel-Titanium Alloy with Nano Ferromagnetic Particles in it to study shape memory effect

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I want to simulate Nickel-Titanium Alloy (Nitinol) with Nano ferromagnetic (Metglas Nano Finemet 50 Hz NoFieldAnnealed) particles embedded in it to observe its shape memory effect. Different observations I've made:

1. I've simulated a 4x2x50 cm nitinol (linearly elastic material) with .001 cm size of nano particles. I wanted to study its volume displacement (deformation) and i'm even getting results also. I've attached a file name here below.

2. Now as Nitinol is a non-linearly elastic material so on putting all the non linear properties of the material and choosing a non-linearly elastic material physics I'm getting an error in convergence. I've tried to resolve it but still couldn't get the solution.

3. My actual dimensions of nano ferromagnetic particles should be in (10^-7 cm) but on embedding this size particles in the alloy first of all i'm not able to implement the geometry since no of particles that i want to embed to observe the effect are too much as its size is also very very small and its giving an error of "Java Heap" . Even on reducing no of particles I can't make the union , i'm getting a warning (Could not respect relative repair tolerance Using tolerance 1e-010.) i've tried changing parameters still error exists and its also making my system too slow (32 GB RAM i'm using).

so finally I want to simulate this nitinol alloy as non linearly elastic material embedding nano ferromagnetic particles of size 10^-7 cm (in nanometers) in it to study its shape memory effect. Please help me out in this regard.

Thanks and Regards
Anuradha

0 Replies Last Post 21 set 2016, 06:40 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Anuradha Balouria

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.