Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Extracting strain values on thin elastic layers

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am using a thin elastic layer to describe a glue layer in a solid mechanics problem. So the bulk material of small thickness corresponding to this glue layer is described by an interface.

I would like to extract strain values corresponding to this glue layer.
I can do so at the interface, but I am wondering : what's the meaning of this strain values ?

Thank you !

Regards,
Astrid.

1 Reply Last Post 29 set 2016, 15:12 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 29 set 2016, 15:12 GMT-4
Hi,

The thin elastic layer does not have any strain variables. It is based on a stress vs. displacement formulation, since it does not have a physical thickness.

The strain that you see on the boundary is that of the surrounding solid.

Since you know the physical thickness of the layer, you can however create your own strain variables by dividing the layer displacement by that thickness. The variable names for the displacements are described in the User's Guide.

In the next version of COMSOL Multiphysics, there will be an option to enter the layer thickness, and then we will be able to provide built-in strain variables.

Regards,
Henrik

Hi, The thin elastic layer does not have any strain variables. It is based on a stress vs. displacement formulation, since it does not have a physical thickness. The strain that you see on the boundary is that of the surrounding solid. Since you know the physical thickness of the layer, you can however create your own strain variables by dividing the layer displacement by that thickness. The variable names for the displacements are described in the User's Guide. In the next version of COMSOL Multiphysics, there will be an option to enter the layer thickness, and then we will be able to provide built-in strain variables. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.