Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to cite the principal stress and the principal direction in model?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I want to cite the principal stress and principle direction in my permeability model for a porous media. But I cannot find such variables in the equation view. So how can i cite these two variables in my model?

Thank you for your help and time

2 Replies Last Post 28 feb 2017, 00:43 GMT-5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 27 feb 2017, 01:51 GMT-5
Hi,

If you add a principal stress plot, you will see the names of the principal stress variables. The orientations have names like 'solid.sp1x'. ('1' for first principal stress, 'x' for x component).

These variables are not visible in Equation View since they are not computed by an explicit expression, but by solving an eigenvalue problem.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, If you add a principal stress plot, you will see the names of the principal stress variables. The orientations have names like 'solid.sp1x'. ('1' for first principal stress, 'x' for x component). These variables are not visible in Equation View since they are not computed by an explicit expression, but by solving an eigenvalue problem. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 7 years ago 28 feb 2017, 00:43 GMT-5
hi

I have some question about principal stress.

if principal stress has negative value, and orientation has negative value such solid.sp1=-1 and solid.sp1x=-0.5
in this case, i want to calculate the principal stress of x component.
if I just multiply two variable, the value is 0.5.
is this value mean correct value of principal stress of x component?
hi I have some question about principal stress. if principal stress has negative value, and orientation has negative value such solid.sp1=-1 and solid.sp1x=-0.5 in this case, i want to calculate the principal stress of x component. if I just multiply two variable, the value is 0.5. is this value mean correct value of principal stress of x component?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.