Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

i wonder where is out-of-plane direction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi i'm new in comsol. I make 2D thin film to simulation.
there are 2D approximation in structural mechanics. so i'll use plane stress condition.
in comsol document and forum, z-direction is out-of-plane direction so stress of z direction is zero.
but in my model, i make y direction to out-of-plane direction.
in my model is cross-section view of xz-plane in attatched file.
what i wonder is plane stress condition make z-direction only out-of-plane direction.
i change thickness to know where is out-of-plane direction. but i don't know where it is.

Thanks

2 Replies Last Post 1 mar 2017, 23:34 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 28 feb 2017, 08:39 GMT-5
Hello DoWon,
It sounds like you have already found the answer to your question: in COMSOL, a plane stress study is conducted in the xy plane. The out of plane direction, z, corresponds to the thickness.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello DoWon, It sounds like you have already found the answer to your question: in COMSOL, a plane stress study is conducted in the xy plane. The out of plane direction, z, corresponds to the thickness. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 1 mar 2017, 23:34 GMT-5
thanks for your answer.

in comsol document, plane stress condition has no stress of out-of-plane direction(z-direction).

and thickness of z-direction is very thin.

but my model has very thin thickness of y-direction. so i think z

in plane stress condition, the length of specific direction is not considered?
thanks for your answer. in comsol document, plane stress condition has no stress of out-of-plane direction(z-direction). and thickness of z-direction is very thin. but my model has very thin thickness of y-direction. so i think z in plane stress condition, the length of specific direction is not considered?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.