Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D two solenoid coil self inductance and mutual inductance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Thank you for your sincere response before.
I'm now struggling to realize to calculate mutual inductance between 3D two solenoid coils.

I used 3D model since I have to realize parallel two axis for misalignment although the solenoid has axisymmetric shape.

I have some confusion because the results (self inductance first) comparing to 2D results that I performed before with one solenoid model using 2D axisymmetric model.

I think 2D axisymmetric result makes sense so I don't understand why 3D result has so large self
inductance.

2D Axisymmetric model Self inductance: ~145uH
3D model Self inductance: 2309.6uH

I used
Results-Global Evaluation-Expression-Model-Component1-Magnetic Field-Coil parameter- Coil inductance: mf.LCoil_1

Could you give me some advice or recommendation to realize this model?
I think I may have some mistake for 3D modeling.
I'm really looking forward to hearing from you.

<2D axisymmetric model> Physics: Magnetic Fields, Study: Stationary
1. Geometry:
Rectangle- Width: 1.63mm
- Height: 2.5cm
-Position:
Base: center, r:25[cm]
z: 1.25[cm]

2. Material : Copper

3. Magnetic Fields-Multi-Turn Coil
Material type: From material
Coil excitation: Current
Coil currnet: 1[A]
Number of turns: 11
Coil wire cross-section area: American wire gauge: 14AWG

3. Global Evaluation:
Self inductance: ~145uH

<3D model> Physics: Magnetic Fields, Study: Stationary
1. Geometry
Using Cylinder (Boolean difference)

Cylinder1:
Radius: 25cm
Height: 2.5cm
Cylinder2:
Radius: 24.837cm (for 14 AWG (1.63mm diameter) coil)
Height: 2.5cm

Boolean difference: Cylinder1-Cylinder2

2. Material: Copper

3. Magnetic Fields-Multi-Turn Coil
Material type: From material
Coil type: Circular
Coil current: 1A
Number of Turns: 11
Coil wire cross-section area: American wire gauge: AWG 14

4. Global Evaluation:
Self inductance: 2309.6uH

I assigned circle (2D) and sphere (3D) for air circumstance.

I would be appreciated your help.

Best regards,

Sung

1 Reply Last Post 23 ago 2017, 08:08 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sung Yul Chu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 23 ago 2017, 08:08 GMT-4
Hi,
Please check the coil geometry in the 3D file. Just select a circle to indicate the current direction.
I have tried to modify the coil 1 in your model, and get the self inductance of coil 1 to be 145uH, which is close to the 2D result.

Hi, Please check the coil geometry in the 3D file. Just select a circle to indicate the current direction. I have tried to modify the coil 1 in your model, and get the self inductance of coil 1 to be 145uH, which is close to the 2D result.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.