Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact problem with initially un-contact domains, is it necessary to have concave convex for destination and source

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

Have a question about contact. Noticed that there are many discussions on this topics, now I have a rather basic question.

In the documents, I read that
"For each destination point where the operator or gap is evaluated, a corresponding source point is sought by searching in the direction normal to the destination boundary. ......
The source should be concave and the destination be convex rather than the opposite",

This seems to me that it is a MUST that the contact should be source is concave, and destination is c convex, otherwise there will be difficult or impossible to search the corresponding point.

But I did two simple examples, one with two rectangulars, initially uncontact. And one with two concave (or convex) for both. Both models works.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Now my question is: why in the documents say so, seems it is not a MUST to have the source concave and the destination be convex ?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Attached is the two simple examples in version 4.0a.
Thanks a lot.
XLi

2 Replies Last Post 9 mar 2011, 05:52 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 mar 2011, 05:12 GMT-5
hi,
I have problem with contact in 2D, I model a long beam with small cross section area. and I have a block below it. I want to define contact between block and beam but it goes inside the block. It seem you know how contact works.
would you please help me?

I attached my file
hi, I have problem with contact in 2D, I model a long beam with small cross section area. and I have a block below it. I want to define contact between block and beam but it goes inside the block. It seem you know how contact works. would you please help me? I attached my file

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 mar 2011, 05:52 GMT-5
Hi! Sorry, I only have little experience in solid-solid contact.
I've no idea how to contact beam with solid. Hope some others could
help you.
XLi
Hi! Sorry, I only have little experience in solid-solid contact. I've no idea how to contact beam with solid. Hope some others could help you. XLi

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.