Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

SImulation of an electrostatically actuated beam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am new to COMSOL and presently trying to simulate the pull-in instability of electrostatically actuated micro beams in COMSOL MEMS module. I need further insights into the following topics pertaining to this problem:

1) Has anyone benchmarked some typical beam problem so that one can have some idea about what is the optimum number of elements; say along beam-length, width, thickness? I have followed the tutorial problem in COMSOL and the results do match with the literature, but just checking if someone has already tried this out.

2) How do we decide the optimum dimensions of the surrounding box (air chamber) in which the electrostatic problem is solved. I have observed that making it too small changes the results substantially and making it big increases the number of elements in the electrostatic domain, and hence the computational effort.

3) How do we ensure that the charge distribution over the surface of the beam is accurately captured? I feel that turning on the weak constraints would help, however, just curious if somebody is having a better understanding and/or previous insights from their own numerical experiments.

Thanks in anticipation for your time and valuable inputs.

Dekar

13 Replies Last Post 4 dic 2013, 10:44 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 mar 2011, 01:32 GMT-5
Hi

COMSOL is a FEM programme as the other so a reasonable mesh density is needed for the theory to work. But as higher order shape elements are used, mostly the results are good even with coarse meshes. But the rule is always to increase the mesh size once to check the model stability, but one can do that "intelligently" by concentrating on the region with high gradients, to better identify them turn OFF the plot smoothing and rendering and look at the raw wire-frames. For a beam I start with a minimum of 2 per thickness (when lazy only 1). You have also the solver refinement meshing feature

For the surrounding air box, the best is to look at the field lines and the gradients, is my surrounding air SHAPE and SIZE influencing the field lines ? if yes increase the size, if no decrease it. You have also the infinite or PML elements to artificially expand your air volume, I use as rule of thumb infinite elements = 1/5 to 1/10 of the air size

I leave COMSOL mostly in default mode (to start with), then I observe the model in a "coarse mode" to decide hoe to refine. Normally the weak mode is there to improve the model, at the cost of some extra computations. But indeed when you look at the weak functions they are very spiky (by design) and do not give a "nice" impression but I find that this approach is far better than the traditional one used in older FEM programmes

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOL is a FEM programme as the other so a reasonable mesh density is needed for the theory to work. But as higher order shape elements are used, mostly the results are good even with coarse meshes. But the rule is always to increase the mesh size once to check the model stability, but one can do that "intelligently" by concentrating on the region with high gradients, to better identify them turn OFF the plot smoothing and rendering and look at the raw wire-frames. For a beam I start with a minimum of 2 per thickness (when lazy only 1). You have also the solver refinement meshing feature For the surrounding air box, the best is to look at the field lines and the gradients, is my surrounding air SHAPE and SIZE influencing the field lines ? if yes increase the size, if no decrease it. You have also the infinite or PML elements to artificially expand your air volume, I use as rule of thumb infinite elements = 1/5 to 1/10 of the air size I leave COMSOL mostly in default mode (to start with), then I observe the model in a "coarse mode" to decide hoe to refine. Normally the weak mode is there to improve the model, at the cost of some extra computations. But indeed when you look at the weak functions they are very spiky (by design) and do not give a "nice" impression but I find that this approach is far better than the traditional one used in older FEM programmes -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 mar 2011, 04:20 GMT-5
Thanks Ivar for your reply.

I will perform some mesh refinement studies and post it back here.

Meantime, can you please direct me to some good starting point for using the PML elements .

Also, if somebody is having a few guidelines about the optimum dimensions of air chamber (parameterized in terms of beam dimensions), please let me know.

Thank you.

Dekar.
Thanks Ivar for your reply. I will perform some mesh refinement studies and post it back here. Meantime, can you please direct me to some good starting point for using the PML elements . Also, if somebody is having a few guidelines about the optimum dimensions of air chamber (parameterized in terms of beam dimensions), please let me know. Thank you. Dekar.

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 mar 2011, 07:29 GMT-4
I am on COMSOL and presently trying to simulate the pull-in instability of electrostatically actuated micro beams in COMSOL MEMS module. I need further insights into the following topics pertaining to this problem:

Has anyone benchmarked some typical beam problem so that one can have some idea about what is the optimum number of elements; say along beam-length, width, thickness? I have followed the tutorial problem in COMSOL and the results do match with the literature, but just checking if someone has already tried this out.

How do we decide the optimum dimensions of the surrounding box (air chamber) in which the electrostatic problem is solved. I want model damping pull in parameters like pull in voltage and displacement. My thinking is surrounding box (air chamber) in which the actual beam is placed will be filled with some viscous medium. How can I do that or help me if any other way is possible.
I am on COMSOL and presently trying to simulate the pull-in instability of electrostatically actuated micro beams in COMSOL MEMS module. I need further insights into the following topics pertaining to this problem: Has anyone benchmarked some typical beam problem so that one can have some idea about what is the optimum number of elements; say along beam-length, width, thickness? I have followed the tutorial problem in COMSOL and the results do match with the literature, but just checking if someone has already tried this out. How do we decide the optimum dimensions of the surrounding box (air chamber) in which the electrostatic problem is solved. I want model damping pull in parameters like pull in voltage and displacement. My thinking is surrounding box (air chamber) in which the actual beam is placed will be filled with some viscous medium. How can I do that or help me if any other way is possible.

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 apr 2011, 13:00 GMT-4
Hi Rakesh,

Here's a MEMS cantilever electrostatic simulation that I did. I don't know if COMSOL calculates pull-in since if you apply a high enough voltage, the cantilever displaces past the electrode.
Hi Rakesh, Here's a MEMS cantilever electrostatic simulation that I did. I don't know if COMSOL calculates pull-in since if you apply a high enough voltage, the cantilever displaces past the electrode.

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 apr 2011, 13:17 GMT-4

Hi Rakesh,

Here's a MEMS cantilever electrostatic simulation that I did. I don't know if COMSOL calculates pull-in since if you apply a high enough voltage, the cantilever displaces past the electrode.

Hi Wnag,
Thanq for ur reply. I could not able open the model which u have send me, it is giving error the file can't be opened.Can u plz send me the proper one.
[QUOTE] Hi Rakesh, Here's a MEMS cantilever electrostatic simulation that I did. I don't know if COMSOL calculates pull-in since if you apply a high enough voltage, the cantilever displaces past the electrode. [/QUOTE] Hi Wnag, Thanq for ur reply. I could not able open the model which u have send me, it is giving error the file can't be opened.Can u plz send me the proper one.

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 apr 2011, 13:19 GMT-4
Hi Rakesh,

I'm sorry, this is a 4.1 version and I don't have a 3.5a version.

Sorry,
Andrew Wang
Hi Rakesh, I'm sorry, this is a 4.1 version and I don't have a 3.5a version. Sorry, Andrew Wang

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 apr 2011, 01:19 GMT-4
Hi,
I have tried with 4.1 also but I could not able to open it..can u plz guide me how I can model damping.
Hi, I have tried with 4.1 also but I could not able to open it..can u plz guide me how I can model damping.

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 apr 2011, 01:20 GMT-4
Hi,
I have tried with 4.1 also but I could not able to open it..can u plz guide me how I can model damping.
Hi, I have tried with 4.1 also but I could not able to open it..can u plz guide me how I can model damping.

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 apr 2011, 11:00 GMT-4
Hi Rakesh,

Did you update your comsol?

Andrew
Hi Rakesh, Did you update your comsol? Andrew

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 apr 2011, 11:22 GMT-4
Hi,
I am using 3.5 only. From starting I've been using 3.5 only. Still its working.
Hi, I am using 3.5 only. From starting I've been using 3.5 only. Still its working.

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 feb 2013, 08:55 GMT-5
hii Rakesh, I would like to see that file. I'm working on modal analysis of cantilevers . would u please post the pdf format of your results?
hii Rakesh, I would like to see that file. I'm working on modal analysis of cantilevers . would u please post the pdf format of your results?

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 lug 2013, 07:00 GMT-4
Do we have a tutorial describing how to make an electrostatically actuated beam

I am very new to comsol
Do we have a tutorial describing how to make an electrostatically actuated beam I am very new to comsol

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 dic 2013, 10:44 GMT-5
Sir i need comsol pull in simulation. Can you direct me to that?
Sir i need comsol pull in simulation. Can you direct me to that?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.