Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

define variables on multiple domains simultaneneously

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am working on a chemical reaction-diffusion system in a circular domain which contains n smaller cells inside. One example is showing in the attached figure with n=3 and cells are labeled by blue. In each cell, cytosolic variables C1, C2, .., Cn diffuse and interact with corresponding membrane variables M1, M2, ..., Mn. M1,...,Mn interact with the extracellular variable C0 in the outer domain. I wonder if there is a way to define equations for C1,C2...,Cn(or M1,M2,...,Mn) simultaneneously as they all follow similar equations. Right now I define equations for each variable on their own domain and repeat it n times(thus create n physics for C1,..,Cn). But when n is large this process becomes hard.

I am new to COMSOL and any hint would be helpful! Thank you.

5 Replies Last Post 9 nov 2017, 18:21 GMT-5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 8 nov 2017, 14:03 GMT-5

Emily,

repetitive things like this can be automated with methods in the application builder. I am not sure if the 5.0 version already has it. The current 5.3 version also has model methods which could be helpful as well.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Emily, repetitive things like this can be automated with methods in the application builder. I am not sure if the 5.0 version already has it. The current 5.3 version also has model methods which could be helpful as well. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 7 years ago 8 nov 2017, 16:40 GMT-5

Hi Edgar, Thank you very much for your response. I found version 5.0 already has the application builder but creating application is only possible with the window version of COMSOL and the COMSOL I have access to is on a Linux machine. I wonder if this is the only way to create repetitive variables?

Cheers, Emily

Hi Edgar, Thank you very much for your response. I found version 5.0 already has the application builder but creating application is only possible with the window version of COMSOL and the COMSOL I have access to is on a Linux machine. I wonder if this is the only way to create repetitive variables? Cheers, Emily

Posted: 7 years ago 8 nov 2017, 17:40 GMT-5

Emily,

that's a pitty. Another option is to do it in Matlab, but you need the Matlab Live Link for that. I am not aware of an option to do repetitive model node creation procedures in the Comsol model builder. Can your Linux machine provide a Windows box? I am not sure if Comsol would run inside a Windows emulator. This may be a question to be addressed to the Comsol support.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Emily, that's a pitty. Another option is to do it in Matlab, but you need the Matlab Live Link for that. I am not aware of an option to do repetitive model node creation procedures in the Comsol model builder. Can your Linux machine provide a Windows box? I am not sure if Comsol would run inside a Windows emulator. This may be a question to be addressed to the Comsol support. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 7 years ago 9 nov 2017, 14:47 GMT-5

Hi Edgar,

Sadly, the COMSOL I am using doesn't have a license for MATLAB Livelink. I will contact the Comsol support for the possibility of using emulators. Thanks a lot for your patient explanations.

Emily

Hi Edgar, Sadly, the COMSOL I am using doesn't have a license for MATLAB Livelink. I will contact the Comsol support for the possibility of using emulators. Thanks a lot for your patient explanations. Emily

Posted: 7 years ago 9 nov 2017, 18:21 GMT-5

Hi Emily,

you are welcome. May I ask you to share the information you get from the support team in this thread? This might be useful for others too.

Thanks Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Hi Emily, you are welcome. May I ask you to share the information you get from the support team in this thread? This might be useful for others too. Thanks Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.