Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Different results on Probe Plot and Surface Plot

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to model a polymer insulator on electrostatics module and it's been working fine until I decided to add a pollution layer on top of polymer part. I have a boundary probe along leakage distance and obviously pollution layer should increase the es.normE value along the surface. When I take a look at surface solution it looks much higher than clean condition, there's about a 50% increase in es.normE value but the probe plot states that it has decreased, which is pretty much impossible. Is the boundary probe averaging two solutions next to it? That's the only thing I can think of, because now the outer side of boundary has a much lower es.normE since water has higher relative permittivity than air. How can I solve this problem?

Edit: I managed to confirm that the results are indeed different by using max/min surface plotting, Probe Plot's max value is 11.32 kV/cm but Surface Max/Min Plot's max value is 23.56 kV/cm, although my probe is on the same surface.

This is what I'm talking about, electric field norm distribution has a max value of 4.03 but max value function gives me 5.34, how is this possible and which one is correct?

https://puu.sh/yLKXZ/2190a70032.png

0 Replies Last Post 22 dic 2017, 03:44 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Salih Kızıldağ

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.