Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Applying waveform on Magnetic Field Insulation boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

In my Magnetic Field Physics, I want to perform a Time-Domain study. I use the "Magnetic Isolation" Boundary as the place to apply a "Magnetic Field". I previously define a waveform function of sinusoidal type. It is defined as a variable called "wv1". It seems that COMSOL does not recognize "wv1" when I introduce it as the value of the magnetic field along one particular direction (e.g. Hx in A/m) in the Setup of the "Magnetic Field" interface. Is there a mean to apply a time-dependent magnetic field predefined function on an Isolation Boundary used to generate a Magnetic Field, please?

Thanks in advance! Have a nice day! David

3 Replies Last Post 2 mar 2018, 12:06 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 2 mar 2018, 08:33 GMT-5
Updated: 6 years ago 2 mar 2018, 08:34 GMT-5

Did you remember to pass time as an argument to the function when you call it?

wv1(t)

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Did you remember to pass time as an argument to the function when you call it? wv1(t) Jeff

Posted: 6 years ago 2 mar 2018, 09:46 GMT-5

Hello Jeff! Thank you for your prompt answer. I changed a bit my geometry and integrated a Coil to generate the magnetic field. (I got rid of the magnetic field replacing the Magnetic Insulation Boundary). I had the same trouble when I write wv1 in the Coil current: COMSOL did not know this variable :( I've tried passing the time as argument and writing wv1(t) in the Coil current but still got into trouble: COMSOL said there is an issue with the Units :(

Then I created an analytic function such as: an1(t) = 0 + wv1(t) And now I can associate it with the coil current!!! COMSOL accepts it as the Coil current :)

I will go further and try to apply it on an Magnetic Isolation boundary replaced by a Magnetic Field from an1(t).

Best regards, David

Hello Jeff! Thank you for your prompt answer. I changed a bit my geometry and integrated a Coil to generate the magnetic field. (I got rid of the magnetic field replacing the Magnetic Insulation Boundary). I had the same trouble when I write wv1 in the Coil current: COMSOL did not know this variable :( I've tried passing the time as argument and writing wv1(t) in the Coil current but still got into trouble: COMSOL said there is an issue with the Units :( Then I created an analytic function such as: an1(t) = 0 + wv1(t) And now I can associate it with the coil current!!! COMSOL accepts it as the Coil current :) I will go further and try to apply it on an Magnetic Isolation boundary replaced by a Magnetic Field from an1(t). Best regards, David

Posted: 6 years ago 2 mar 2018, 12:06 GMT-5

Hello Jeff!

I tried to apply the analytic function an1(t) on the Magnetic Isolation replaced by "Magnetic field" and it works! I wrote an1(t) in the Hx coordinates. Strangely it does not work with the waveform function wv1(t).

Regards, David

Hello Jeff! I tried to apply the analytic function an1(t) on the Magnetic Isolation replaced by "Magnetic field" and it works! I wrote an1(t) in the Hx coordinates. Strangely it does not work with the waveform function wv1(t). Regards, David

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.