Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solid passing through and exiting boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm using the Fluid-Structure Interaction Module, which couples laminar flow and solid mechanics, for a 2D model of a particle (solid with a defined domain) traversing acrossing a simple, straight fluidic channel. My intention is to have the solid particle flow through the channel and exit the defined channel. The inlet has a defined flowrate and the opposite end is defined as an open boundary. Moving mesh & automatic remeshing is implemented into the study.

The simulation is working for the time range in which the solid remains within the geometric domain. However, the study ends abruptly when the solid makes contact with the open boundary.

Is there a way for the solid to pass through & exit a boundary of the defined geometric domain?

Best Regards, Ray

1 Reply Last Post 5 apr 2018, 17:44 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 5 apr 2018, 17:44 GMT-4

I checked out the 'Red Blood Cell Separation' COMSOL from the application gallery (Application ID: 17013). I noticed that for point-based particle tracing (with the Particle Tracing for Fluid Flow Physics), it is possible to set a wall condition for the particles to 'pass through'.

I am still unsure if COMSOL has the capability for a solid body moving through the deformed, fluidic domain to pass through a specified boundary.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

• Ray
I checked out the 'Red Blood Cell Separation' COMSOL from the application gallery (Application ID: 17013). I noticed that for point-based particle tracing (with the Particle Tracing for Fluid Flow Physics), it is possible to set a wall condition for the particles to 'pass through'. I am still unsure if COMSOL has the capability for a solid body moving through the deformed, fluidic domain to pass through a specified boundary. Any suggestion would be much appreciated. - Ray

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.