Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Compatibilty

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using COMSOL 4.1 RF Module. When I try to open a file older than version 3.5 I got error message. Is there a way to open those files? I think I should be able to open them since the later versions of any program should be able to support older versions.

Thanks.

11 Replies Last Post 5 gen 2013, 19:47 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 mag 2011, 15:58 GMT-4
See Release Notes manual, version 4.1, pages 10 and 11. All manuals can be accessed through the Help>Helpdesk menu.
See Release Notes manual, version 4.1, pages 10 and 11. All manuals can be accessed through the Help>Helpdesk menu.

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 mag 2011, 18:37 GMT-4
Thanks,

I am trying to use comsol convertpre35a command however it does not work?
I am using it in this format:

comsol convertpre35a -c35aroot C:\COMSOL41 C:\Myoldmodels C:\Myconvertedmodels

Is there something wrong with my syntax?

Thanks,
Damla
Thanks, I am trying to use comsol convertpre35a command however it does not work? I am using it in this format: comsol convertpre35a -c35aroot C:\COMSOL41 C:\Myoldmodels C:\Myconvertedmodels Is there something wrong with my syntax? Thanks, Damla

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 mag 2011, 08:06 GMT-4
I doubt that C:\COMSOL41 is your v3.5a installation directory.
I doubt that C:\COMSOL41 is your v3.5a installation directory.

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 mag 2011, 16:28 GMT-4
No, it is not. I thought 41 may support 35.
The thing is I have only Comsol 4.1 and I want to be able to open the pre 3.5 files. How can I do that?
Thanks,
Damla
No, it is not. I thought 41 may support 35. The thing is I have only Comsol 4.1 and I want to be able to open the pre 3.5 files. How can I do that? Thanks, Damla

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 mag 2011, 17:53 GMT-4
Whoever created the files in the first place may be able to save them in 3.5a for you.
Or you may need to talk to your COMSOL rep to get your hands on 3.5a.

Before you take any of those steps, one thing to be aware of is that converting a model file automatically does not necessarily result in a "good" model file for 4.1. So many new features have been introduced since the original model was created that there may very well be a more sensible way to set up the model in 4.1 than the way it was set up in the old version. My point being that sometimes it is a better idea to create the model from scratch in v4.1.
Whoever created the files in the first place may be able to save them in 3.5a for you. Or you may need to talk to your COMSOL rep to get your hands on 3.5a. Before you take any of those steps, one thing to be aware of is that converting a model file automatically does not necessarily result in a "good" model file for 4.1. So many new features have been introduced since the original model was created that there may very well be a more sensible way to set up the model in 4.1 than the way it was set up in the old version. My point being that sometimes it is a better idea to create the model from scratch in v4.1.

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 mag 2011, 19:43 GMT-4
Thank you very much for your help.
What I want to do is to figure out couple of things in those files. For example, there are also files in COMSOL forum that I cannot open because of the version issues. This definitely limits program's capabilities.

Do you think it is possible to get the previous versions of COMSOL for free?

-Damla

Thank you very much for your help. What I want to do is to figure out couple of things in those files. For example, there are also files in COMSOL forum that I cannot open because of the version issues. This definitely limits program's capabilities. Do you think it is possible to get the previous versions of COMSOL for free? -Damla

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 mag 2011, 19:46 GMT-4
Sorry, but I am not your COMSOL rep...
Sorry, but I am not your COMSOL rep...

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 mag 2011, 14:02 GMT-4
I asked my rep. and they are sending me the version 3.5 for free.
Thanks again.
I asked my rep. and they are sending me the version 3.5 for free. Thanks again.

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 mag 2011, 14:15 GMT-4
Aren't these COMSOL folks nice? :)
Aren't these COMSOL folks nice? :)

Water Supply Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 ott 2011, 09:02 GMT-4
Hello,

just on more idea about the "convertpre35a"-command. I am using COMSOL 4.2 (v4.2.0.150) and COMSOL 3.5a (v3.5.0.603).
For 3.5a there exist no convertpre35a-command, but in 4.2.

Finally, I successfully converted 3.3 model-files in order to use them in 4.2.
I used the following command (from directory E:\Programme\Comsol\COMSOL42\bin\win32):

comsol convertpre35a -c42root E:\Programme\Comsol\COMSOL42 <input directory> <output directory>

Hello, just on more idea about the "convertpre35a"-command. I am using COMSOL 4.2 (v4.2.0.150) and COMSOL 3.5a (v3.5.0.603). For 3.5a there exist no convertpre35a-command, but in 4.2. Finally, I successfully converted 3.3 model-files in order to use them in 4.2. I used the following command (from directory E:\Programme\Comsol\COMSOL42\bin\win32): comsol convertpre35a -c42root E:\Programme\Comsol\COMSOL42

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 gen 2013, 19:47 GMT-5
Hello,

How did you convert the 3.3 to 4.2. Where do you execute the command line you are talking about?

Thank you,
Rida
Hello, How did you convert the 3.3 to 4.2. Where do you execute the command line you are talking about? Thank you, Rida

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.