Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Phase Change + Flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I need to simulate a tank filled with Phase Change Material that is heated by circulating hot water through a pipe inside it.
I am using COMSOL 4.1. What kind of physics would you recommend me to use?

Thank you!
Paul

4 Replies Last Post 9 gen 2015, 01:41 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 mag 2011, 08:51 GMT-4
Paul
May I ask what PCM you will be using, PCM quantity, size of the tank, size and length of the heat exchange pipe? We manufacture PCM (salt hydrates - www.rgees.com) and may be able to provide some input on the charging and discharging in a similar input.
Harshul
Paul May I ask what PCM you will be using, PCM quantity, size of the tank, size and length of the heat exchange pipe? We manufacture PCM (salt hydrates - www.rgees.com) and may be able to provide some input on the charging and discharging in a similar input. Harshul

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 mag 2011, 14:49 GMT-4
CaCl2 + 6H2O
CaCl2 + 6H2O

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 mag 2011, 14:04 GMT-4
That will be our savEnrg PCM29P. For it's optimum performance we recommend to encapsulate it in 75mm capsules and these capsules occupy 70% of the tank volume. The heat exchange fluid can be directly applied for min. thermal loss. If you may still want to use the heat exchange tubing, the balance 30% space can be filled with water. The latent heat of PCM29P is 190KJ/Kg and appropriate calculations can be done to know the total storage capacity.
That will be our savEnrg PCM29P. For it's optimum performance we recommend to encapsulate it in 75mm capsules and these capsules occupy 70% of the tank volume. The heat exchange fluid can be directly applied for min. thermal loss. If you may still want to use the heat exchange tubing, the balance 30% space can be filled with water. The latent heat of PCM29P is 190KJ/Kg and appropriate calculations can be done to know the total storage capacity.

Posted: 10 years ago 9 gen 2015, 01:41 GMT-5
Hello
May I ask how to add the phase change flow of CO2 or water in to the non-isothermal pipe flow module .
Hello May I ask how to add the phase change flow of CO2 or water in to the non-isothermal pipe flow module .

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.