Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plasticity in a Time-Dependent Study with Uniaxial Stress Strain Relation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am working on a model using NiTi, also referred to as Nitinol. I want to use the plasticity node to effectively represent the "twinning" or apparent speudoplasticity of the material.

I am trying to run a time dependent study in which a downward load is applied to the center of the plate and then released. I want to observe the resulting shape of the plate due to the force and any "plasticity" that has occured. However whenever my simulation reaches plasticity it does not converge.

I am using a uniaxial stress strain relation to define the material with perfectly plastic. However even after the initial yield stress I want the plasticity to follow the stress strain curve and not go perfectly plastic.

I feel like this should be a relatively simple problem but none of the COMSOL examples use a time-dependent study for any of their plasticity examples.

Any help would be appreciated

1 Reply Last Post 8 ago 2018, 23:58 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alec Yenawine

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 8 ago 2018, 23:58 GMT-4

Hi,

I am having the exact same issue. Just trying to simulate a simple uniaxial tensile test that goes into plastic region. Using auxillary sweep with a stationary study works just fine, but as soon as I use a time-dependent study, none of the plasticity options seems to work properly. By properly I mean sometimes the study won't just converge up to the maximum strain, and almost all the time gives a stress-strain curve that oscillates weirdly around the expected trend value.

I am sure there is some tweak that needs to be applied to the solver somewhere to make it work. I have tried playing with time-steps, and some other solver settings, but no luck so far.

Would appreciate any help on this regard.

Thanks

Hi, I am having the exact same issue. Just trying to simulate a simple uniaxial tensile test that goes into plastic region. Using auxillary sweep with a stationary study works just fine, but as soon as I use a time-dependent study, none of the plasticity options seems to work properly. By properly I mean sometimes the study won't just converge up to the maximum strain, and almost all the time gives a stress-strain curve that oscillates weirdly around the expected trend value. I am sure there is some tweak that needs to be applied to the solver somewhere to make it work. I have tried playing with time-steps, and some other solver settings, but no luck so far. Would appreciate any help on this regard. Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.