Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Open boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,
I have a duct which opens to a LARGE VOLUME. To model the flow inside the DUCT, I am specifying an unsteady inlet velocity. At exit of the duct, pressure is not known and the pressure variation with respect to time should be a part of the solution. But I can specify a pressure value at time t=0 to begin with.

In the comsol modelling guide, I found out that specifying open boundary - no viscous stress condition doesn't impose any constraint on pressure. Thats what I need in this problem( that is pressure at exit of duct should not be constrained, since it should be a part of solution). But there will be boundary layer effect close to the duct walls. Hence my doubt is that how no viscous stress condition can be specified. Once again, the exit of duct is open to a large volume.

Can any one suggest whether this no viscous stress boundary condition is appropriate, if the boundary is open to a large volume?

Thanks in advance

SM Ananth

1 Reply Last Post 19 giu 2013, 01:36 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello SM Ananth

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 giu 2013, 01:36 GMT-4
Were you able to overcome this issue?
Were you able to overcome this issue?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.