Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Near- to far-field tranform in Comsol v4.2

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I read that the near- to far-field transform in Comsol v4.2 is now supporting media, which have a different refractive index than 1. Therefore, it seem to be possible now to calculate the scattering pattern of a particle embedded in for instance glass using the adapted Stratton-Chu formulas. Before it was only possible to calculate the far-field in free space. At least, this was stated in the manual of Comsol v4.0.

My question is the following:
Is it possible in Comsol v4.2 to calculate the far-field in the case of non-homogeneous media using the implemented far-field feature? Imagine for instance the excitation of a nano-particle sitting on a glass substrate by a plane wave. This is a very sophisticated situation, because the substrate breaks the symmetry of the system and the near-field can not just be propagated to the far-filed using the standard Green's function.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Peter

1 Reply Last Post 30 set 2014, 08:51 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Peter Banzer

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 30 set 2014, 08:51 GMT-4
Hi Peter,
Have you got solution for your question?. I am also looking for same clarification. How to calculate the scattering in forward and backward direction by scatter on substrate?. If I draw one enclosed surface around the particle on substrate, I observed that it is split into two parts those can be assigned for two different Efar variables in V4.4. What modifications I have to do for scattering cross section calculation in media compared to the equation of free space?. Any suggestions would be appreciable.

Thanks
Mahnedar
Hi Peter, Have you got solution for your question?. I am also looking for same clarification. How to calculate the scattering in forward and backward direction by scatter on substrate?. If I draw one enclosed surface around the particle on substrate, I observed that it is split into two parts those can be assigned for two different Efar variables in V4.4. What modifications I have to do for scattering cross section calculation in media compared to the equation of free space?. Any suggestions would be appreciable. Thanks Mahnedar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.