Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

joule heating via current density

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear comsol users,

I do a lot of modelling in AC/DC-Module. Now I have a axisymmetric model of a electromagnetic actuator in which I want to calcualte the heat distribution. The heat source is the coil of the actuator. I attempted to apply an external current density on the coil domain, but I doesn`t work at all. I also tryed in 3D mode, same problem. In 3D it is also possible to apply electric Potentials to boundaries. Doing so I get a temperaturdistribution as solution. But there is no way to do so in a axisymmetric model. I added my model so u can try yourself.

So my question is: Why isn´t a current flowing if an external current density is used on a domain?

Please help, best regards
Oliver

2 Replies Last Post 2 ott 2015, 08:25 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Oliver Vogel

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago 23 set 2015, 17:29 GMT-4
Hello,

Did you ever determine a method to do this analysis? I am currently trying to figure out a similar problem. I am trying to determine the heat produced from a coil with a constant current being applied.

Any help would be appreciated.

Very Respectfully,

Will
Hello, Did you ever determine a method to do this analysis? I am currently trying to figure out a similar problem. I am trying to determine the heat produced from a coil with a constant current being applied. Any help would be appreciated. Very Respectfully, Will

Posted: 9 years ago 2 ott 2015, 08:25 GMT-4
Hi Will,

sorry for late response, but I was unable to log in to my comsol account, maybe expired...

Actually I was able to do a thermal analysis.

I atached an exemplary model, wher you can see how I did it.

Maybe it is not exactly what you need but you can surely adapt some conditions and ideas.

Best regards

Oliver

P.S.: I am still working with version 4.3
Hi Will, sorry for late response, but I was unable to log in to my comsol account, maybe expired... Actually I was able to do a thermal analysis. I atached an exemplary model, wher you can see how I did it. Maybe it is not exactly what you need but you can surely adapt some conditions and ideas. Best regards Oliver P.S.: I am still working with version 4.3

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.