Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to export/save the thermal expansion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am doing the thermal stress analysis of a glass mirror. How do I extract the deformation (or the displacement) values at each grid point after analysis? Basically I am interested to know the change in radius of curvature of the mirror before and after the thermal expansion.

Thanks,
Sim

2 Replies Last Post 20 gen 2010, 22:11 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Simon True

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 gen 2010, 04:41 GMT-5
Hello Simon,

actually I am also building a model of a glass mirror. I want to investigate the thermal influence to the surface deformation of the mirror and I also need to export the deformation in the end.

Did you already succeed in exporting the data? Under File->Export->Postprocessing Data I can Export Coordinates, but I don´t know how to export the coordinates of exactly the surface or subdomain I am interested in!

Regards,
Moritz
Hello Simon, actually I am also building a model of a glass mirror. I want to investigate the thermal influence to the surface deformation of the mirror and I also need to export the deformation in the end. Did you already succeed in exporting the data? Under File->Export->Postprocessing Data I can Export Coordinates, but I don´t know how to export the coordinates of exactly the surface or subdomain I am interested in! Regards, Moritz

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 gen 2010, 22:11 GMT-5
Hi
You can export the deformations into matlab, one way is to take a look on the discussion thread "" this is for eigenmodes but the deformations ramin deformations:)

Matlab script for effective modal mass extraction

You have also some clues in the "Model Exchange" (and a few discussions threads, serach for Zernike) where I have dumped a very preliminary Zernike analysis of a deformed surface, that I use for mirror gravity and thermal deformation analysis. It is rather straightforward, but length to extend to further zernike elements. Pls note that there is a normalisation issue to consider depending on which optical software you are comparing your results with. And that the Zernike are correctly normalised only for circular, non hollow, shapes.

There are quite some info in the threads, try the "search" it can extract several nice suggestions

Good luck
Ivar
Hi You can export the deformations into matlab, one way is to take a look on the discussion thread "" this is for eigenmodes but the deformations ramin deformations:) Matlab script for effective modal mass extraction You have also some clues in the "Model Exchange" (and a few discussions threads, serach for Zernike) where I have dumped a very preliminary Zernike analysis of a deformed surface, that I use for mirror gravity and thermal deformation analysis. It is rather straightforward, but length to extend to further zernike elements. Pls note that there is a normalisation issue to consider depending on which optical software you are comparing your results with. And that the Zernike are correctly normalised only for circular, non hollow, shapes. There are quite some info in the threads, try the "search" it can extract several nice suggestions Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.